PDA

View Full Version : Windows Start Up Program Problems

cooldad
04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a bunch of crap that is starting up when I start Windows XP. So I went in through the MS Config and the Start Up Tab and unchecked all the crap I did not want to start.

I needed a reboot.

When it reboots it gives me a warning that the start up stuff has changed and then takes me to a window where I can select starting in a safe (I think) mode with justs the required stuff, as it was, and as it is. I select the as it is choice and it is fine. I chose the as it was option once and it put all the crap back in the start up.

But every time I boot up, I get the same warning and option screen.

I am missing a step for sure, but what is it? I want to be able to disable all these BS start up programs and leave them disabled and be allowed to reboot without the hoops.

Suggestions?

Loonbeam
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM
If you are comfortable in the registry, there is a key folder in there called Run, under the Startup Key. Check in there. MsConfig is supposed to clean that but it doesn't, hence the disconnect.

Also make sure you are not disabling anything that may have a driver component you need for operation.

I have a bunch of crap that is starting up when I start Windows XP. So I went in through the MS Config and the Start Up Tab and unchecked all the crap I did not want to start.

I needed a reboot.

When it reboots it gives me a warning that the start up stuff has changed and then takes me to a window where I can select starting in a safe (I think) mode with justs the required stuff, as it was, and as it is. I select the as it is choice and it is fine. I chose the as it was option once and it put all the crap back in the start up.

I am missing a step for sure, but what is it? I want to be able to disable all these BS start up programs and leave them disabled and be allowed to reboot without the hoops.

Suggestions?

Ned
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
You're missing nothing. The use of MS Config is primarily for diagnostic purposes, not long term use.

It's there, for example, so you can determine what you can and cannot safely eliminate.

Once you've determined what you no longer need, you have several long term options to eliminate them so you can stop using MS Config and eliminate its boot-up options.

I normally try to accomplish removal in the easiest ways possible so I can bring them back, if desired.

If the startup item is in your system tray, and has an option so you can stop it from automatically starting when you start Windows I do that first.
If there is no startup option in the program then see it the program is started because it's located in the startup folder. If it is, remove it from that folder and put it in another. I usually put them in a folder I create called "old startup."
If those two options are unavailable, it starts up due to it being set that way in the registry. Find the entry and after backing it up, delete the entry.

Once completed, stop using MS Config for your startup options.

Good luck.

I needed a reboot.

Suggestions?

Gesualdo
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
There is a checkbox on the startup message you get that says something like "don't show this again" or "show this message on startup." Until you change the checkbox, it will appear every time you start up after using MS Config. If you change the check box, it stops showing up on subsequent boots. But if you get back into MS Config again, it comes back and you have to change the check box once again.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ned. I haven't been comfortable getting into the registry editor, but I suppose I need to get that way. Maybe that's a good exercise for my dinosaur laptop.

Ned
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
You're welcome G. If you do anything in the registry, if you back it up and put the back up in the hard drive's root, you should be safe.

There is a checkbox on the startup message you get that says something like "don't show this again" or "show this message on startup." Until you change the checkbox, it will appear every time you start up after using MS Config. If you change the check box, it stops showing up on subsequent boots. But if you get back into MS Config again, it comes back and you have to change the check box once again.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ned. I haven't been comfortable getting into the registry editor, but I suppose I need to get that way. Maybe that's a good exercise for my dinosaur laptop.

RGoltsch
04-17-2011, 09:51 AM
If you are comfortable in the registry, there is a key folder in there called Run, under the Startup Key. Check in there. MsConfig is supposed to clean that but it doesn't, hence the disconnect.

Also make sure you are not disabling anything that may have a driver component you need for operation.

Be very careful editing the registry. I see too many computers here that people ask me to fix after they either manually repair the registry, or use registry cleaning tools that do it for them.

If you don't feel comfortable performing the changes, don't.

As for your problems, is the window you are seeing when you reboot in the operating system (Normal windows looking) or in DOS (Black screen, white text).

MSCONFIG is a powerful tool. I hate to disagree with others, but I like the idea of being able to roll back changes if I need to, so using MSCONFIG as a long term fix works. That way, if down the road I find that something no longer works, I can re-enable it within MSCONFIG.

cooldad
04-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks, it is during the boot up process and it appears to be a window type box (not the start up screen/safe mode dossy type)

Next time I reboot, I will see if I can get a screen cap. But if I ignore it on the boot, I get prompted to re-start, and I ignore that and all is well.

Gesualdo
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Is this the window you see?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_WVag9KEpxnc/Ta21n66u_kI/AAAAAAAAIew/hKlGWN03wsE/01%202011-04-19%2011.11.jpg

Clicking OK without checking the box also causes the "msconfig" window to appear. I've never tried click the red X, but I imagine the effect is probably the same.

If you click the checkbox, it should make it all go away. Until the next time you use msconfig, anyway.

cooldad
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes that is the beast. So if I delete the start ups in the MSCONFIG, do the reboot and then check the box and say OK the changes shoudl hold.

The Windown explanation is not clear (are they ever?)

Gesualdo
04-19-2011, 08:54 PM
definitely not clear. good to solve the mystery, though!

cooldad
04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Gracias.........

Gesualdo
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
De nada, padre fresco.