PDA

View Full Version : New User registrations/problems

Annette
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
We have been absolutely inundated with spam user registrations lately. It looks like we're averaging over 100 of them a day, I'd estimate that in the last few weeks I've deleted about 4000 spam user registrations. Unfortunately what this means is that there's a possibility some actual user registrations might have gotten caught in that as well.

If you know someone who has tried to register and hasn't been approved, please let me know.

susanliber
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
do you know there has been so much more spam lately?? I noticed all the names at the bottom....crazy....

Loonbeam
03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
With email spam filters getting better, the new big frontier is spamming bulletin board systems.

We get over 100 per day just on our little gaming guild site.

do you know there has been so much more spam lately?? I noticed all the names at the bottom....crazy....

Ned
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
On the bulletin boards and forums for which I'm an administrator, we've seen a major upswing in spam everywhere.

Annette, that's why they pay you the big bucks (LOL). Thank you for all your hard work. I assure you we all appreciate the time you put in here. This place would be a disaster without you.

cooldad
03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
You can adjust the settings in the registration. These are not bots, they are people being paid to gain access. And then likely a bot will spam.

Get rid of CAPTCHA in the registration and then switch to a Q+A and use several questions not just 1 that can be passed around. And make the answer something relatively challenging but not included in the question. BAD-- What is 2+4? Good--Who was the US President before Barack Obama?

stephen_s
03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Awesome idea. Unfortunately I haven't been participating that much because I work full time and we don't have full Internet access where I work. We're only limited to our intranet and maybe one or two sites we can access.

You can adjust the settings in the registration. These are not bots, they are people being paid to gain access. And then likely a bot will spam.

Get rid of CAPTCHA in the registration and then switch to a Q+A and use several questions not just 1 that can be passed around. And make the answer something relatively challenging but not included in the question. BAD-- What is 2+4? Good--Who was the US President before Barack Obama?

cooldad
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
That was not a suggestion for users, it was a suggestion to change the settings in the Admin CP settings

AaronK
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
cooldad, Stephen is one of the admins/moderators.

Annette, your hard work is very appreciative.

cooldad
03-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Well I am familiar with VB and had the same issue. Here is the solution that worked for us.

AdminCP-->VB Options-->Human Verification Manager

Uncheck CAPTCHA or other means. Select Q+A

Then create several questions that will rotate.

Key: make the questions somewhat challenging and do not include the tools for the answer in the question (What is 2+5?) Use something like "Who was the US President before Barack Obama?"

The registrations are being done by people not a bot. Then the people will hand off the registration info to the bot to spam. Hence why CAPTCHA is not working.

They aare getting paid by the registration so they are not likely to keep returning to try again if it is not so easy. And once they get in, they will simply re-register and re-register under different names.