PDA

View Full Version : agent discounts

Woodsey Not Owl
10-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Every week we get this same question/statement... Oh, you must get to travel all the time for free!? huh???

The question is really rude but they don't see that. I say yes, that's why I'm here at this desk today, and the last time you were in and the last time you called, so as you can see I'm always away traveling.

Ask them how many weeks vacation do they get on their job, and explain that it works the same for you too. Then they say Oh well I thought the companies would want to show you everything so you'd get free stays all the time. I just tell them that is not correct. Would you want your employee away all the time, or at his/her desk working/selling.

The fact that these card mills still operate shows us how bad ASTA/ARTA are, and how the media is also unable to educate them! Too Bad for them and us as this hurts all valid travel agents and eliminates fams when fam operators find non-agents on the fam.

I have never had to prove the dollar amounts of my IATA agents, just fill out the form and send it back - 20 years now. I have never lied or added a non-agent either and maybe that is why.

What kind of food discounts do you get Gigs???

David

DCTravelAgent
10-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Here's my favorite - Dr. Client says that since he's bringing so many people to me to travel to his Destination Wedding I should rebate the commission on his booking and give him half the commission on each of his guests. (First, I have yet to see the hordes of guests who want to go to his wedding in St. Lucia!)

So I say to him, okay so you'll write off the co-pay and deductible when I come to you to have my endoscopy? While you're at it, perhaps you could prevail upon the Anesthesiologist and the Hospital to do the same with their invoices? And I'll be sure to send you all my friends and family so you can give me half of their co-pays and deductibles! He turned white. He also backed down - fast.

jfrenaye
10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I like your Chutzpah Mindy--did I spell it right?

joyceandrews
10-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Great reply Mindy. If only they know how little we make on these packages.

Annette
10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by joyceandrews@Oct 19 2005, 02:33 PM
If only they know how little we make on these packages.

If they looked in the parking lot then they should be able to tell! I don't know of very many travel agents that drive fancy or expensive cars. The last agency I was at I don't think anyone had a car that was less than 10 years old!

weblet
10-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I just traded my 13 yr old Jeep for a new one, only because my husband insisted. I insisted that the new car payment come out of his paycheck! :lol:

agentplus
11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I think the "agent deals" we get are because we are working 40 hours plus a week and are the first to be aware of the deals. We can book ourselves and get the "deals".

I wonder how many regular travelors would go on a REAL fam where you tour a hotel for breakfast, tour a hotel for lunch and tour a hotel for dinner. Of course you also tour hotels between meals. I think a normal day is at least 6 hotels. Then there are the seminars and trade shows we have to attend. Of course you have to do what the operator wants, when he/she wants you to do it. Maybe you get a chance to shop after lunch for an hour. The public has no idea how our "not so free" trips are.

agentplus
11-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I think the "agent deals" we get are because we are working 40 hours plus a week and are the first to be aware of the deals. We can book ourselves and get the "deals".

I wonder how many regular travelors would go on a REAL fam where you tour a hotel for breakfast, tour a hotel for lunch and tour a hotel for dinner. Of course you also tour hotels between meals. I think a normal day is at least 6 hotels. Then there are the seminars and trade shows we have to attend. Of course you have to do what the operator wants, when he/she wants you to do it. Maybe you get a chance to shop after lunch for an hour. The public has no idea how our "not so free" trips are.

clarkef
01-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Let's be generous. In every industry, people who are outside tend to have erroneous impressions and beliefs about the industry. That's the norm and merely a cost of doing business.

Annette
01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by clarkef@Jan 23 2006, 03:31 AM
Let's be generous.* In every industry, people who are outside tend to have erroneous impressions and beliefs about the industry. That's the norm and merely a cost of doing business.

That's quite true, but most other industries don't have scam artists trying to build on those erroneous impressions and sell the public memberships etc telling them they'll get discounts that don't exist any more.

clarkef
02-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Annette@Jan 23 2006, 01:17 PM
That's quite true, but most other industries don't have scam artists trying to build on those erroneous impressions and sell the public memberships etc telling them they'll get discounts that don't exist any more.

Actually, as I think about it, I would opine that most industries have scam artists ready to take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge. One way to successfully combat that is through education and information.

jjjenny
02-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I just love that reply Mindy.