PDA

View Full Version : Last roll of Kodachrome processed

tdew
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
This fits into Travel photography - if you read the story.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/14/1403115/last-kodachrome-roll-processed.html

RGoltsch
12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Why did Simon and Garfunkel just pop into my head? :)

tdew
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
I can't imagine...

Kairho
12-31-2010, 12:10 PM
I feel a lot sadder about this than I did for Kodacolor...

Ned
12-31-2010, 06:05 PM
I moved totally to digital in 2004 for 35mm work when I dropped the use of my Nikon F5 and went with the Nikon D70.

I continue to occasionally use film for my medium format camera, a Rolliflex, which I use for portrait work. I use Fujicolor Professional and Ilford Delta Professional films.

I personally considered Kodak film dead long ago when they made their decision to stop supporting professional and amateur enthusiasts who use film across the globe.

With the improvement in digital photography, we've seen in the last two years, both in cameras and lenses, I suspect that film will be gone by the end of the decade, or sooner. For example, there is only one National Geographic photographer left who uses film. The rest are all on digital. Even Vogue, a major film holdout until recently, now uses digital photos for their covers and main layouts.

The end of the era is upon us, but somehow, I don't look at it with sadness, because I still see the art and craft of photographers every day, which is as strong as it ever was. The tools may be different, but I don't think the photographers are, and they are, after all is said and done, the real heart and soul of photography. It never has been the tools.