PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little bit scared - Philadelphia Phillies Sigh Cliff Lee

Loonbeam
12-13-2010, 11:39 PM
The AP is reporting the Phils have signed Cliff Lee to a 5 year deal with money roughly equal to that given to Roy Halladay.

This puts the projected Opening Day Rotation to be:

Roy Halladay (NL Cy Young winner)
Cliff Lee (7th in AL voting)
Roy Oswalt (6th in NL voting)
Cole Hamels (as your #4! starter)
? (as I expect Blanton to be traded to clear up some cash)

That's almost too much talent in one place. It's like we're risking a supernova or something.

jimtbay
12-14-2010, 04:42 AM
As a Red Sox fan, this is great news. With potentially five left handers in the lineup, Lee going to the NL instead of the Yankees is a great relief. I look forward to the June series in Philly. Sox lineup vs Philly pitching. Good times.

Ned
12-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Jim, I'm blown away. That's some rotation.

We still need another reliever as these guys aren't perfect every night, and we need to address right field too, presumably with a platoon system, which is how Jason Werth started with the Phils.

It's nice to see that after a point, money isn't everything in the game to players. Lee will get $28M less over the contract's life compared to the Yankee's offer. This is similar to what Halladay did with the Phils.

Kairho
12-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Gawd. Heard about this as I awoke this morning. I wouldn't want to be a major league hitter for the next few years; what an intimidating front wall. And although it was not discussed here, signing Dennys Reyes is a big help in the bullpen.

And I totally agree about taking less money in return for plaing where one wants to ... to have fun and be on a definite winner. (pretty much throws it in Werth's face, doesn''t it?)

Interesting that over the past few years football is swinging towards being more of a quarterback game and baseball is trending towards a pitching game. Fascinating.

katroa
12-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I didn't know either until I read the news here. I love this guy..turning down the Yankees even when they offered him 50Million more. (wow!).

jsamm7769
12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
To all my fellow Phillies Phans... Merry Cliffmas and Happy Halladays.
Like Roy Halladay said... "It's gonna get funner"

TPARick
12-14-2010, 08:03 AM
As a Red Sox fan, this is great news. With potentially five left handers in the lineup, Lee going to the NL instead of the Yankees is a great relief. I look forward to the June series in Philly. Sox lineup vs Philly pitching. Good times.

Jim, I hope you enjoy watching C.C play everyday as much as I did for 7 yrs. He is one of the best in the game today.

TPARick
12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
To all my fellow Phillies Phans... Merry Cliffmas and Happy Halladays.
Like Roy Halladay said... "It's gonna get funner"

Jen, I love you quote,I may have to borrow it. Only a few months till the pitchers and catchers report for spring training :D

Kairho
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Jen, I love you quote,I may have to borrow it. Only a few months till the pitchers and catchers report for spring training :DAnd less than a month until we can buy tickets!

TPARick
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs404.ash2/68223_475865896603_696251603_6330694_7336505_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6293576&id=696251603)

Ned
12-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Rick, that graphic's hilarious.

TPARick
12-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Rick, that graphic's hilarious.

Ned,
All my Philly friends were gloating on FB about the Lee signing. Someone posted the pic and I thought it was hilarious too.

Ned
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Ned,
All my Philly friends were gloating on FB about the Lee signing. Someone posted the pic and I thought it was hilarious too.

It is wonderful. Everyone here is going crazy about the Phils. They're ready to purchase their Phillies/Sox World Series Tickets now.

This pitching staff is fabulous, but among other things, they need to stay healthy, and the bats which struggled last year, despite the team's success, have to come alive again before we're winning anything. That being said, I rather be where we are today than where we were last week.

jsamm7769
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Ned- I couldn't agree more. This has been a wonderful week for Phils fans. Monday they only sold like 1500 tickets, yesterday they sold 25,000. (My numbers may be off, but you get the idea).

I saw a poll today as to what people thought Lee could have done with the extra $30 million the Yankees would have given him. The choices were: 1- Buy Arkansas. 2- Buy the Marlins and 3- Buy the Yankees fans some manners.
I guess the Yankee fans should have been a little nicer to Cliff Lee's wife when they were in town this past season.

Ned
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
In his press conference today, Lee said that the stories about what happened in Yankee Stadium are the stuff of urban legends. I got the impression that when she (Lee's wife) stood to cheer her husband wearing the opposing team's uniform she got some bad news Bronx cheers, but not much more.

He said it really didn't make a difference. He said what made the difference was the energy, vitality, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the Phillies' fans. They might get on you at times, but when you play smart and put out your best effort, no one is behind you more. He also said he and his wife noticed just how much the fans were stunned by his trade to Seattle as they were, and how much they wanted the Phils to keep him.

It was also clear how close he got to his Phillies' teammates in the time he was here. Interestingly, I also got the impression that if Jason Werth would have known Lee was coming to the Phils, considering the two had talked about trying to be on the same team, since they had become such close friends, that Werth might have taken less money and stayed here. That being said, I don't think he would have taken enough less for the Phils to sign him.

Ned- I couldn't agree more. This has been a wonderful week for Phils fans. Monday they only sold like 1500 tickets, yesterday they sold 25,000. (My numbers may be off, but you get the idea).

I saw a poll today as to what people thought Lee could have done with the extra $30 million the Yankees would have given him. The choices were: 1- Buy Arkansas. 2- Buy the Marlins and 3- Buy the Yankees fans some manners.
I guess the Yankee fans should have been a little nicer to Cliff Lee's wife when they were in town this past season.

Loonbeam
12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
There is one person who is not getting enough credit in all of this. Cholly. Charlie Manuel.

He's the one who has set the clubhouse tone that Lee likes so much over the past years, he's the coach with the winning record. I really don't think the last few years would have turned out the same without him...

Ned
12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
The Phillies sold 40,000 ticket packages yesterday, mostly 6 game packages, some full season tickets which are capped at 28,000 full season ticket seats.

The Phillies are sold out on those 28,000 full season tickets.

They only have 6 game packages left and not that many of those are left.

There's little doubt the Phils will have another season where every game is sold out. The Phils have sold out 123 regular season games in a row to date. Most likely that means they will enter the 2012 season having extended the streak to 204 games.

The Red Sox have the longest streak in MLB history at over 600 games which continues to this day.

Kairho
12-16-2010, 08:28 AM
That is fantastic ... I wonder what their total revenue from home field ticket sales is?

I also wonder how much this increases away field sales, but I think that number would be almost impossible to figure.