PDA

View Full Version : Fly Greyhound

Kairho
10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Next week we're flying to LAS on Southwest, first time on this carrier. They've been around a long time now so, this being a leisure trip, I decided to give them a go.

Now, after watching Airport for 2 weeks, I'm not so sure about this decision. So I need a few tips.

Is 12 minutes enough connection time in Dubuque? How best to avoid having to sit next to a big fat person? Is it required that we miss the first flight and then have to whine all afternoon? FOr that matter, is it required we get likkered up before the 9 AM flight? What is the protocol for ignoring the perky stew when the various celebrity passengers are introduced? Is it true they run a continuous loop of Red Collar TV for entertainment?

I'm so scared.......

AaronK
10-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Well, I would never plan a connection of 12 minutes, I don't even think Southwest will do that with their scheduling software, intentionally.

I prefer to fly Southwest. I have never had any issues flying with them. With the exception of weather issues, and even then minimally, I have always been ontime. From what I've seen on Airline, they seem to get the weird cases on tape. Most of the type of thing I've seen on the show, I've never seen sitting in the gate area.

Go and have a good time. Just get to the airport early to get in the A group, that way you get first pick for seats.

tdew
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by AaronK@Oct 18 2005, 06:01 AM
Just get to the airport early to get in the A group, that way you get first pick for seats.

That's the only part I had trouble with, and Kairho likely will too. Without much time between connections, you can't be one of the people in the desired "A" group for that leg of the trip.
As long as you don't get stuck in a middle seat for a long flight, it should be okay.
Have fun and make the best of it. You could end up with some interesting stories to report back to the rest of us.

Annette
10-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Kairho, you are just too funny.

I'm sure you'll like Southwest just fine. I've never flown then, since they don't service any area I'm in, but I do regularly fly their Canadian counterpart Westjet.

The main difference between Westjet and Southwest is that Westjet actually allows you to pre-select a seat when checking in, whether that be at the airport or online (up to 12 hours in advance of the flight). But aside from that Westjet was based upon the Southwest model, and is definitely my preferred airline to fly with in Canada. In fact the very few time when a Westjet fare has been more than Air Canada I'll still opt to fly with Westjet, because their service is superior, their staff is friendlier and their on-time record beats AC.

And yes, you still get the same kinds of gripes with Westjet. The last flight I was on had a family (parents and 4 young children) griping because they weren't able to get all their seats together (mother and 1 child were separated from the other 4 by 2 rows). Mind you they didn't ask anyone around them to switch seats with them. But I'm sorry, I think that if you KNOW that your airline doesn't assign seats until check-in, and it's important to you to be able to either sit together or have specific seats, then you make whatever effort is necessary to check-in earlier.

AaronK
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I usually get my boarding passes for all legs when I check in for the first step. So, I may get a B group pass for my first leg, but an A group pass for the next leg.

However, if you are only going to have 12 minutes to connect, I don't think it makes a difference what group you are in.

john225
10-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Check in online the day before, and you will have a better chance of getting an "A" boarding pass. I don't think that 12 minutes will be a problem. WN only utilizes 19 gates at that airport, all across the airport from where ever you arrive!
:P

tdew
10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by AaronK@Oct 18 2005, 10:01 AM
I usually get my boarding passes for all legs when I check in for the first step. So, I may get a B group pass for my first leg, but an A group pass for the next leg.

AaronK, that must be a more recent improvement since my only Southwest flight in 2000 or so.
They were having some crazy sale that made me decide to drive to Long Island's airport (not convenient) to make use of that airline.
At the time, I wasn't really paying attention to the details of the flight - but was more focused on the price. It didn't register that we'd be stopping 2 or 3 times between NY and Phoenix!
The flights were good but the trip was a long one and I learned an important lesson.
If at some point, Southwest starts to fly in and out of Newark or Stewart airport, I'd consider using them again, but I'd definitely look closely at times and stops.

AaronK
10-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes, this is a relative new thing. After 9/11, all airlines were required to give passengers security documents to get through security, plus keep boarding passes for who got on a plane. Since Southwest used to give colored boarding cards at the gate to get on a plane, they had additional paperwork necessary to comply, so they switched to boarding passes like all other airlines. It used to require that you check in at each airport, but they have since allowed you to get all boarding passes when you check in for the day, just like you can print them online in the AM.

Southwest is good if they are near you, but I wouldn't go out of my way to fly them, unless it was a considerable cost savings.

Jeanie821
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Answers to Kairho's questions...

Q: Is 12 minutes enough connection time in Dubuque?
A: Twelve minutes is not enough connection time anywhere. The plane never lands on time, so I would allow at least sixty to ninety minutes.

Q: How best to avoid having to sit next to a big fat person?
A: Arrive early. And pick someone adorable.

Q: Is it required that we miss the first flight and then have to whine all afternoon?
A: I think these people get left because they whine. Besides, Airline wouldn't tape patient people - they're less interesting to watch.

Q: For that matter, is it required we get likkered up before the 9 AM flight?
A: Only if you want to miss the first flight and then whine all afternoon.

Q: What is the protocol for ignoring the perky stew when the various celebrity passengers are introduced?
A: Just keep your noise-cancelling headphones on and the music or audiobook going, and keep your nose in your reading material. You won't notice a thing.

Q: Is it true they run a continuous loop of Red Collar TV for entertainment?
A: They don't run anything for entertainment. Bring your own, unless you want to be very bored and whine all afternoon.

Kairho
10-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Why have people lost their sense of humor?

And, by the way, that Dubuque connection has changed to 6 minutes now...

DenaLou
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Kairho@Oct 25 2005, 11:39 AM

I'm sure that Southwest will hold the DBQ LAS flight for you!!!!!

:lol:

susanliber
10-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I thought you were funny Kairho!! :D :P

Jeanie821
10-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Kairho@Oct 25 2005, 11:39 AM

I know I haven't lost my sense of humor. I remember thinking while watching Airline, "So this is what the criminals on Cops do in their off time." (No offense intended to those on this forum who regularly fly Southwest.)

And the Dubuque connection is down to six minutes? What do they expect you to do, an impression of OJ Simpson in the Hertz rental commercials? :lol:

hwyman
10-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Jeanie821@Oct 26 2005, 06:59 AM
What do they expect you to do, an impression of OJ Simpson in the Hertz rental commercials?* :lol:

Been there, done that, only for me it's usually going from D to A in ATL!

margo
10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
That's the only part I had trouble with, and Kairho likely will too. Without much time between connections, you can't be one of the people in the desired "A" group for that leg of the trip.
You can check in up to 24 hours in advace now, if you have an eticket, on Southwest.com. You'll get A group for both, no trouble.

Dubuque? Are you sure about that? Dubuque IA?? Southwest doesn't do Dubuque that I know of.... :blink:

gyan
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Be aware that you may not even be getting off the plane. Many SW flights criss-cross the country (2-3 stops on a coast-to-coast flight) where they unload all the passengers who are going to that destination, do a quick "clean up" and then load the next batch. It's usually around 20-30 minutes.

Also, SW is notorious for padding their arrival times (so they won't be late.) I take a weekly flight that takes an average of one hour and five minutes, yet SW schedules one hour and twenty-five minutes for the flight. I think in the past two years only one time has it taken the full scheduled time.

drwong
10-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Here's a little secret that'll get you into Group 1: for a mere $5, you can log onto Boardfirst.com and let them "check in" for you as soon as SWA's online check-in opens at midnight. No more rushing to the airport five hours before your flight, no more dragging yourself out of bed at 3 am to go online to book your ticket.

And if Boardfirst.com doesn't get you into Group 1 (because 45 other passengers signed up with Boardfirst before you did)? They'll check you in for free! Remember - you heard about it here first!

susanliber
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Cool! I will have to remember that one!!

pokermike
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by susanliber@Oct 26 2005, 07:57 PM
Cool!Â* I will have to remember that one!!

Another site that is useful is http://www.boardingpassbuddy.com
You can download software that will check in for you to secure an "A" boarding pass.

For $15 , you can use the software as many times as you wish.