PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to an HP printer wirelessly - can't find it on the network!

bravestar
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
My travel office has an HP Color LaserJet 2605n printer. It is on the office wireless network, as others in the office who use their laptops with wireless access are able to print to it.

However, I cannot seem to locate the printer to add it to my own laptop for when I need to print things in the office.

1. I've used Microsoft's Add Printer function (choosing "A network printer, or printer attached to another computer" and then "Connect to a printer on the Internet or home or office network" options) and the printer is always "not found."

2. I've tried searching the network for the printer, but the search function or 'directory' doesn't even load the network for me to find the printer.

3. I have attempted locating the printer by IP Address and Default gateway, but neither works.

What else can I do? Buy them a room at the Hilton for the night and hope they get it on?

Ned
11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Do you have the ip address and the gateway address? You need both.

bravestar
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, I have both; I can access the printer's maintenance "site" from the IP address, but I haven't seen anywhere to enter both values in order to locate the printer.

Annette
11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
What system are you using? One of the reasons I hated Vista was due to problems like that. And even once I did get it to find the network printer and get it added, the next day it would forget about it and I'd have to do it all over again. Every single day.

bravestar
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I am using XP. I am staying away from Vista like it has leprosy.

(no slight intended to lepers)

Ned
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Do you have the printer driver installed? If you don't, you must install it before you go further. Install it as a local printer. You can even say it is connected with the parallel port. Don't let it try to print a test page when you install it.

Once installed, open the printer, go to properties, then to the ports tab. Click on add a port. Add either an HP Standard TCP/IP port or a Standard TCP/IP Port.

Let me know if that works. If it does, you won't need the Gateway and this is the easiest way to connect.

Yes, I have both; I can access the printer's maintenance "site" from the IP address, but I haven't seen anywhere to enter both values in order to locate the printer.

bravestar
11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I attempted to install the printer drivers, which have an EZInstall file. (No other installation file that I can see). It won't let me complete the install without having detected the printer attached to my laptop and turned on.

Ned
11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Which operating system?

bravestar
11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Which operating system?Ned, I'm using XP.

pezmanffx
11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Ned, we have the same printer. It also doesnt show up on our network. It works perfectly with your method of adding a tcp/ip port. Occasionally, on Vista, it has a communication problem and then you have to delete and reinstall the printer.

Ned
11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Ned, I'm using XP.

Try this driver.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1140727&prodNameId=1140730&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ly-53176-1

katroa
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I feel your frustration. Have you tried to uninstall--restart computer--and reinstall ?..and is there another printer tied to your laptop?.Could there be a conflict there? Do you maybe need to 'disable' it while you connect to your wireless?