PDA

View Full Version : I have no words for this....

susanliber
11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.chow.com/recipes/29029-thanksgiving-turkey-cake

tdew
11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I think I know a couple of people who would love this. They've been trying to create the perfect Thanksgiving leftover sandwich for years.

deangreenhoe
11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
All I can say is, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE?" That's disgusting. :p

pezmanffx
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
It looks awesome. I'm going to try it.

Kairho
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Kairha took one look and asked, "Is that for the dogs?"

tdew
11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
We once had a meatloaf birthday cake

http://tdew.smugmug.com/photos/1085430778_Pyoh3-M.jpg

pezmanffx
11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Meatloaf birthday cake? Yumm.

deangreenhoe
11-10-2010, 08:37 AM
We once had a meatloaf birthday cake

No offense, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. LOL. :)

I'm probably overly sensitive to that sort of "creativity with food" because I'm one of those folks who doesn't really care for my various food groups even mingling on the plate. Just seeing the commercials for those KFC combo (looks like garbage) bowls makes me a little nauseated.

deangreenhoe
11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Meatloaf birthday cake? Yumm.

I'm beginning to think you belong to a Turducken cult. :p

InfrequentFlyer
11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Looks perfect for a food fight & if some kid thought they were getting cake, there would be one. I bet it would work with chopped Tofu Turkey too.
I can't decide if the turkey cake would be more or less work than a standard roast turkey dinner. It might be quicker but there is a lot of work involved with the cake.

pezmanffx
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Turducken doesn't appeal to me. This just just looks interesting because of the interesting use of mashed potatoes. Like a shepherds pie.

NW CTC
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
That is sooo gross! No Thanksgiving dish should have ketchup as an ingredient!!!

I was curious to see the calorie count but either it wasn't provided or I was so blinded by the spectacle that I couldn't see it:rolleyes:. I'm sure it was over the top.

Fireman
11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Looks perfect for a food fight & if some kid thought they were getting cake, there would be one. I bet it would work with chopped Tofu Turkey too.
I can't decide if the turkey cake would be more or less work than a standard roast turkey dinner. It might be quicker but there is a lot of work involved with the cake.

:eek:TOFU TURKEY? Now that's going too far.

Real Meatloaf and/or a turkey cake shouldn't exist. I'm with Mr. Greenhoe. Don't mix the food groups. The only time they get mixed is through the ailementary process.

tdew
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
In general I agree with the "don't mix my foods" group, but in the case of mashed potatoes, meatloaf, gravy and green peas - they can all join together.
The meatloaf cake was not for a child, it was for an adult who is particularly fond of meatloaf. We did have a real cake too.

maryb
11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm probably overly sensitive to that sort of "creativity with food" because I'm one of those folks who doesn't really care for my various food groups even mingling on the plate. Just seeing the commercials for those KFC combo (looks like garbage) bowls makes me a little nauseated.

I fully agree. I drive my family nuts because I eat on a divided plate! On those occassions I don't have access to a divided plate I just don't eat the areas that are touching. And certainly not going to eat that KFC thing. Makes me gag to just think about all that stuff piled on top of each other.....gross.

Ned
11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
They sure can. It's almost a Shepard's Pie.

In general I agree with the "don't mix my foods" group, but in the case of mashed potatoes, meatloaf, gravy and green peas - they can all join together.
The meatloaf cake was not for a child, it was for an adult who is particularly fond of meatloaf. We did have a real cake too.

katroa
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Barfatrocious!

pezmanffx
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
We americans invented food that touches. Think of all those casseroles mom used to make. Just think of all the things we eat now that people once said "OMG, you put what on bread???"

susanliber
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Pez - I will cook for you any time!! I used to be the CASSEROLE QUEEN. At work, my ladies love my "concoctions" and my soups. When my son was in high school, and I had my New Zealanders lving with me, I would make a big casserole in order to feed them all....

deangreenhoe
11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
They sure can. It's almost a Shepard's Pie.

That's what Pez said. And I like shepherd's pie but somehow this seems different to me. I'll have to stew on it to figure out why.

We americans invented food that touches. Think of all those casseroles mom used to make. Just think of all the things we eat now that people once said "OMG, you put what on bread???"

Did we? Different strokes for different folks, plus I'm a bit obsessive about food purity. Some casseroles I adore, others gag me. The ex used to make something called "Six Course Dinner" which was supposedly all the courses of meal cooked together in baking dish. To me it was like skipping digestion and evacuation, staring at the ultimate end product on my plate.

My brother is the absolute worst of the "food minglers." When we were kids he had to have a peanut butter sandwich on the side with every meal. (Blech) As an adult, he skips over "the side" by making an open faced peanut butter sandwich, places it on his plate and covers it with things like goulash, spaghetti or mac and cheese and eats them together. To this day, I almost have to leave the table when he does it. :eek:

pezmanffx
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Susan, soups are my downfall. Nothing beats a good homemade soup. I do enjoy a good casserole and make a lot of them but if there is tuna or noodle anywhere in it, ill pass.

When I'm busy, I look for anything that is easy and that I can throw together in under an hour and will give me leftovers for 3 days. When I cook on the weekends, I don't cut corners. Lately it has been mostly Indian dishes like Rogan Josh, Vindeloo, butter chicken...

I cant stand the smell or taste of peanut butter and never have had a pbj in my life.

bodega
11-10-2010, 11:50 PM
That looks like gussied up dog food.

deangreenhoe
11-11-2010, 05:09 AM
I cant stand the smell or taste of peanut butter and never have had a pbj in my life.

Same here. Kind of odd since I like peanuts, just not peanut butter. For the most part I love Thai food, until you accidently get one of those many dishes where peanut butter is in the base sauce. Rats.

pezmanffx
11-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Same here. Kind of odd since I like peanuts, just not peanut butter. For the most part I love Thai food, until you accidently get one of those many dishes where peanut butter is in the base sauce. Rats.

Same here. Give be a bag of peanuts in the shell and I can munch on them all day. Thai food is awesome. Then they ruin it with peanut sauce.

vacationagent
02-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I was just glancing through the foodies today and came upon THIS. I must say that I have never heard of anyone who hadn't had a PB&J. I feel sure I would have starved to death as a child if not for PB&J. :p

Gesualdo
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM

I don't mingle my food much, but those combo bowls from KFC were finger-lickin' good. Mmm-mmm. They're gone now...

No pbj for me, either. Actually, not a jelly fan...