PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Issues

bravestar
11-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a Belkin N Wireless Router in my apartment. I have enjoyed using it with my laptop, and had excellent signal strength and connectivity.

I recently went on a trip out east, using hotel wireless networks where available, and where not, Boingo Wireless. I returned home last weekend, and since then I've been suffering from connection issues with my wireless that I simply can't explain.

It is especially prominent when I am trying to view streaming content, like Hulu videos or YouTube video. I have not had this issue before, and in fact watched some Hulu video while on my trip with no problems whatsoever.

When I first got my router, I used a Network Stumbler program to identify the channel that is least used in my immediate area, and that channel has worked well for me. It continues to be the least used in my immediate area.

I have attempted restarting the modem and the router independently, and have even reset the router to factory default settings. I have "repaired" my wireless connection and renewed the IP address numerous times. I have steady internet access if I connect my laptop directly to the router, but when it comes to wireless I suffer from dropped connections in a way I have never experienced before.

My router is in my bedroom (as that's where the cable outlet for the modem is) and I typically use my laptop in the office, in the room next to the bedroom. Yet, I am suffering these dropped connections even when I am using the laptop in the bedroom.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Ned
11-03-2010, 10:44 PM
You need to figure out where the problem lies; modem, router, connection from internet service provider, wherever.

I'd first try to connect wired to the modem directly and see if that's okay.

If it is, then if your Belkin router permits wired connections, connect to it wired and see if that's okay.

If it is, then reconnect to the Belkin wirelessly and see if that's then okay.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Loonbeam
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd also pull all the connections you used while traveling from your wireless connection list. Sometimes that has caused me access problems, although not the kind you described.

Just to be complete, I'd also run a malware scan, just in case you picked up a bot bug.

bravestar
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Ned, and LoonBeam.

I first checked each connection in the system, per Ned, and all worked a-ok independently.

I had also deleted all extraneous profiles that had been stored prior to having this issue, and double checked that I didn't have a hidden virus or malware or something.

But, I have not had ANY issues today with my WiFi connection holding. It is seemingly "back to normal."

I guess all I had to do was complain publicly about it. :confused:

Ned
11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Steve, I can't tell you how often I get a call, come out on an emergency, and when I get to my client, I can't get anything to fail.

I'm just happy to hear it's working great at this point. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

Thanks, Ned, and LoonBeam.

I first checked each connection in the system, per Ned, and all worked a-ok independently.

I had also deleted all extraneous profiles that had been stored prior to having this issue, and double checked that I didn't have a hidden virus or malware or something.

But, I have not had ANY issues today with my WiFi connection holding. It is seemingly "back to normal."

I guess all I had to do was complain publicly about it. :confused:

Annette
11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
It's just like when I take my car in to the mechanic - whatever noise it was making is miraculously cured on the drive there.