PDA

View Full Version : Slight Annoyance with IE8

deangreenhoe
08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, so the PC operating systems Luddite has a question again. :rolleyes:

I finally updated my primary PC to IE8 today, figured enough of the programs I have to use for business have worked out the bugs by now. After the first reboot, the browser was super sluggish and scrolled really funky. I did a Google search on the topic, ended up up dumping Adobe Flash, disabling all add-ons, then reloading the latest version of Adobe Flash again, which did help a bit.

But it's still kind up jumpy, will resize things and move the text a few seconds after the page initially loads, which has me clicking on things I didn't really want to every now and then.

Not a big deal. Just wondered if any of you gurus out there are familiar with the problem and have any tips off the top of your heads. I'm still running Windows XP SP2.

jfrenaye
08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I use FF for all but the sites that require IE. Sorry can;t help you

Ned
08-22-2010, 09:19 PM
The first thing you need to do is move up to Service Pack 3. It's stable now and you shouldn't have problems with it. If you have an older computer, before updating to SP3, close all programs other than IE8 at MS updates, shut down memory resident programs, and disable your antivirus. This is a big update which wants your computer to run as fast as possible.

What is your processor and what's its speed? How much RAM do you have, and how much room is left on your hard drive? The processor and RAM information can be ascertained by right clicking on My Computer, then left clicking on properties.

deangreenhoe
08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
The first thing you need to do is move up to Service Pack 3. It's stable now and you shouldn't have problems with it.

Dead in the water right there. My GDS ap (my moneymaker) requires I run SP2 only. Just double checked the config specs this afternoon before I did the download.

This is why I despise the PC environment. All the things you want to do are never on the same page.

Thanks for the response, though, Ned. I really appreciate it. :)

Ned
08-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Dean, I've run into the same thing with all my TA clients. I strongly suggest, no, make that STRONGLY suggest you contact the company and remind them that XP without SP3 is no longer supported, and that many software manufacturers are already requiring SP3 to update to their latest versions.

For example, MS Office 2010 requires SP3 to be installed on an XP computer.

By the way, how much memory RAM does your computer have and how much hard drive space? What antivirus program are you using?

Dead in the water right there. My GDS ap (my moneymaker) requires I run SP2 only. Just double checked the config specs this afternoon before I did the download.

This is why I despise the PC environment. All the things you want to do are never on the same page.

Thanks for the response, though, Ned. I really appreciate it. :)

Kairho
08-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Back when I had my B&M wholesale op, we had the same problem with Sabre ... incompatible with then current PC technology. So I put the GDS on separate computers (older, cheap, laying around) and each agent looked really buff with two PCs. Actually worked out quote fine.

Or do I what I have now: moved to a Mac a year ago and will NEVER go back. Runs almost everything I need and the couple of programs which still only run on a PC I run under Parallels, an emulation program (and they run as fast as ever), with complete transparency.

Ned
08-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I like MACs, but find them too expensive for what you get, unless you're doing specific tasks such as heavy graphics, video, or music.

I have found that many software manufacturers don't even know what their products will run under. For example, with SP3 for Windows XP, if you've put in all the updates you essentially have SP3 without the name of it in the registry. Of course the problem is, if once installed, SP3 is murder to back out, if it kills a program.

My business partner use a MacBook Pro. I can't tell you how often I have to fix something on the Mac side of the unit. Macs aren't flawless. I have a Mac client who got hit by malware last week. I did get him cured quickly.

Back when I had my B&M wholesale op, we had the same problem with Sabre ... incompatible with then current PC technology. So I put the GDS on separate computers (older, cheap, laying around) and each agent looked really buff with two PCs. Actually worked out quote fine.

Or do I what I have now: moved to a Mac a year ago and will NEVER go back. Runs almost everything I need and the couple of programs which still only run on a PC I run under Parallels, an emulation program (and they run as fast as ever), with complete transparency.

Gesualdo
08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Speaking of Firefox, I'm just about to give up on it. It takes forever for the initial load. I've done a whole bunch of things to try to correct the problem, with temporary success, but three months later, I'm back to a 2-minute load time (if I'm lucky). Because a couple of the things I need aren't supported by Opera, I'm looking heavily at Chrome again.

Ned
08-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Firefox has always taken too much time to load initially. Its speed comes to the fore, only once running when it is much faster than IE, but IE loads almost instantly. The biggest problem with FF loading is the add-ons. The more add-on the slower the load, and it doesn't need them to be slow.

I never turn my computer off and I always have FF running. That way, speed in loading isn't really an issue.

Chrome has some serious deficiencies in my book. I've removed it from my computer. Opera isn't in the same league as FF or IE. Just my opinion.

Speaking of Firefox, I'm just about to give up on it. It takes forever for the initial load. I've done a whole bunch of things to try to correct the problem, with temporary success, but three months later, I'm back to a 2-minute load time (if I'm lucky). Because a couple of the things I need aren't supported by Opera, I'm looking heavily at Chrome again.

deangreenhoe
08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Guess who just went back to IE7? :rolleyes:

It was really the simpler fix and there was no real reason I needed to be in the IE8 environment. The little "quirks" that began to present themselves weren't worth the risk for me.

I am glad that I didn't end up downloading with SP3 because it seems once you do you can't easily go back to SP2? Or is that bad online advice?

And point taken about having to work with dated operating systems and software with the TA GDS. It's always been that way and not much difference between the vendors. You learn to live with it. Fortunately I'm a low tech kind of guy so it doesn't really hold me back much from what I want to do otherwise.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and advice.

Deano

Gesualdo
08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't blame you Deano! As long as it does what you need it to do and doesn't present a whole load of security problems, you do what you need to do.

I've been hearing about Chrome problems, so I'm not sure it's going to do for me what I need it to. I notice as the day wore on yesterday, my computer began dragging. I don't have a ton of extensions in Firefox. I've deliberately tried to keep them to a minimum. But I'm really tired of it taking 2 minutes + to load up. Opera starts in just a few seconds. And it's really interesting how while I'm waiting for FF to load, if I try to open another browser (doesn't matter which one), FF jumps in and magically appears first. So IMO, it's just being petulant. It's there and capable of starting, it just doesn't want to...until there's competition afoot.

What I like about Opera is that it is lightning fast! That, and it's not on a lot of lists for viruses and whatnot. I still assume I need to keep my anti-virus software updated and doing regular scans, and I still check for adware and spyware as often as I should. But it makes me feel a bit safer anyway. But yeah, I wish the extensions were half as good as they are on FF. Chrome is close. Opera is barely in the ballpark there. At least my favorite password manager is finally going to do a build for Opera. Now all I need is way to use my Delicious bookmarks without having to use the Delicious website, and a better ad blocker. Chrome has half of that. Maybe 3/4.

Ned
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Every time I turn around Opera seems to be the leading browser with security problems, even more than Chrome, FF, and IE. They all have security woes from time to time, but Opera seems to be the worst. I just don't want to add to my security angst.

Personally I'm not putting it on my computers.

Gesualdo
08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
I hadn't heard that. Hmmm...