PDA

View Full Version : outgoing mail: OUTLOOK EXPRESS

katroa
08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
What setting do I put SMTP on outgoing mail?..When I travel and working from my hotel room, I can receive mail, but cannot send it. I don't what setting I should use. It is set on 25. I tried 26, but that doesn't work either.

Is there a simple fix for this?..

*thanks!*

Ned
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Who is your email provider? Once I know that, I believe I can help you.

What setting do I put SMTP on outgoing mail?..When I travel and working from my hotel room, I can receive mail, but cannot send it. I don't what setting I should use. It is set on 25. I tried 26, but that doesn't work either.

Is there a simple fix for this?..

*thanks!*

AaronK
08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I'd be willing to bet that port 25 won't work when you are traveling. Most ISPs block that port to keep SPAM bots from sending. The simple fix would be just to use webmail.

katroa
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
NED: Comcast is my provider. I don't know who it is at the hotel.

I can use comcast webmail, but I don't like the way it is formatted..I can't change the style nor organize it as efficiently as my outlook express.

Ned
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
No problem. I use Comcast too.

To send mail you need the following settings for your SMTP server.

Server Name: smtp.comcast.net

The outgoing server port is 587. You'll need to set it to that, not 25 or 26.

You must check the box that says your outgoing server requires authentication.

Click on the settings button beside it, and choose use same settings as incoming server.

That should do it. Let me know if it works.

NED: Comcast is my provider. I don't know who it is at the hotel.

I can use comcast webmail, but I don't like the way it is formatted..I can't change the style nor organize it as efficiently as my outlook express.

katroa
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
*yay* thanks!..Works fine.

Ned
08-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Great. I'm glad I could help. That will enable you to send email from anywhere in the world. I was using those settings for me while in Russia last week to send email.

*yay* thanks!..Works fine.

tdew
08-16-2010, 06:01 AM
These settings should be readily available for every provider, but you often have to search and search to find them. Why do they have to make things so difficult?

AaronK
08-16-2010, 06:30 AM
A lot of providers are pushing users to their webmail.

Personally, I too prefer a real client. Though with all of my email hosted by Google, setup is a breeze.

jfrenaye
08-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Aaron--do you use the free google G-Mail deal or do you use the Google Apps G-Mail?

katroa
08-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Tdew...spot on!..I searched and searched and searched for this simple answer. Honestly, this Tech Support sectiion of this forum has saved my back many time...

Thanks to all!

Ned
08-16-2010, 07:13 AM
I think the problem is that every email client sets up a bit differently, and many people, maybe even most people, don't know how to take the raw information about the server settings and fill them in their email client on their own.

As as result, the providers typically show outlook and outlook express or mac mail on their websites for the setup, and everyone else has to fend for themselves, although one should be able to look at those examples and figure it out.

Over at Comcast one only has to log in, then go to help, and they have all the email settings and examples which are easy to find.

One of the big changes which has occurred recently is the move to port 587 for many providers which affords better security. While many might be able to continue to use port 25 if directly connected to the provider, they find when connecting remotely they have to go to 587.

The problem is most providers haven't widely publicized that, and they don't realize not having done so is a big deal, because they haven't gotten many complaints. That's because the vast majority of users never access their accounts remotely except through web mail.

These settings should be readily available for every provider, but you often have to search and search to find them. Why do they have to make things so difficult?

AaronK
08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Aaron--do you use the free google G-Mail deal or do you use the Google Apps G-Mail?

I have a couple of domains hosted on Google Apps, the free version. Works very well integrating with my Android phone.

Ned
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a great deal of confidential information on my smartphone, and am totally uncomfortable putting that info in a cloud. Therefore I avoid Google Apps syncing with my phone like the plague. There are too many problems and break-ins at this point to trust it.

I have password protection on the phone to protect the data, and after trying to get in a certain number of times and failing, an application on the phone wipes it clean. I'm also looking to put on an application on the phone from which I can remotely wipe the phone clean if necessary.

I have a couple of domains hosted on Google Apps, the free version. Works very well integrating with my Android phone.

AaronK
08-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a great deal of confidential information on my smartphone, and am totally uncomfortable putting that info in a cloud. Therefore I avoid Google Apps syncing with my phone like the plague. There are too many problems and break-ins at this point to trust it.

I have password protection on the phone to protect the data, and after trying to get in a certain number of times and failing, an application on the phone wipes it clean. I'm also looking to put on an application on the phone from which I can remotely wipe the phone clean if necessary.

Ned, I should point out that my Google Apps domains are personal use ones, with nothing considered confidential on it.

My phone does also sync with the office Exchange server, for which I use Touchdown, which does allow remote wipe of that information.