PDA

View Full Version : Passport Fees are going up

Ned
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Starting next Tuesday, unless Congress puts a halt to it, which I believe is unlikely:

First time adult Passport book applications will cost $135 (35% increase from the current $100 fee).

First time adult Passport card applications will cost $55 (up from $45).

Adding more visa pages to your passport book will cost $82 (up from free).

Passport books renewals will cost $110 (up from $75).

Fed up with the US and want to renounce your US citizenship, that'll now cost $450. (Though I'm not sure they'll be able to collect that, or that charging for it is even legal.)

Children's Passport book will cost $105 (up from $85.00).

Children's Passport card will cost $40 (up from 35.00).

Lawmakers are trying to get the Obama administration to either scrap the increase all together, or at least postpone it until Jan 1, 2012.

I've wanted to know why it costs the government $100 to process a passport application, so I definitely don't understand $135.

Here's my rationale for my cost disbelief.

We've been paying $45 for a Passport Card which carries the same standard of proof of citizenship as a Passport, and which causes the State Department and Homeland Security to do the same research and verification of a Passport. Therefore the cost differential between the Passport and the Passport Card should only be the cost differential of producing the card vs. the book. Right now the difference is $55. I can't believe it costs $55 more to produce a Passport book than a Passport card, so you know I don't believe the government justify the new difference of $80.

It boggles my mind.

NW CTC
07-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm with you, Ned. My beef in particular is that this is the 2nd substantial increase in a relatively short period. I just don't think it's warranted.

Your point regarding the cost of the so called "passport card" vs. the "passport book" is well taken.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's listening to the chorus of protests. :mad:

tdew
07-09-2010, 05:22 AM
It should be quite a cash cow - considering how many people are now going to need a passport when they never did before.

Kairho
07-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I've wanted to know why it costs the government $100 to process a passport application, so I definitely don't understand $135.
I read yesterday somewhere that the cost also partially covers the cost of providing consular services overseas.