PDA

View Full Version : Can I install BlueTooth ?

katroa
07-01-2010, 03:26 PM
..Ned..remember the 'perfect' laptop I was looking at with Dell (Studio 14)...they took it off the market. I went to build it yesterday and was told 'no longer available' . Now I am starting over from scratch. BTW..they took the Vostro off, too.

The Inspirion makes a model that would work..but no bluetooth. Am I wrong to think it is a nice necessity?..My little netbook does NOT have a bluetooth and at times I wish it did. If I buy a laptop for my daughter w/o bluetooth I think it would be a mistake.

Is it possible to install bluetooth (downloadable in some fashion?..or in a thumbdrive?) after the fact?..Or should I look for laptops that have the bluetooth hardward installed?..

:confused:

susanliber
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
They took off the Vostro?? I just received mine on Wednesday!!!

bravestar
07-01-2010, 04:57 PM
The Vostro is classified under "Small & Medium Business" rather than "Home."

If you go to Dell.com and click on "Small & Medium Business" at the top, you'll be able to select the Vostro models. You can't select them in the "Home" section.

John225
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Okay, call me stupid.....but what use is bluetooth on a computer?

I just got and set up my new computer, a Dell Studio 17 i7. So far everything is working great, other than having a little trouble installing my airline reservation system.

Ned
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
The Studio 14 is now the Studio 1458. Actually it has both names for now.

The Vostro still exists, but only for the business divisions.

If you have a use for bluetooth then get it.

There are bluetooth USB dongles available, but they are not as good as the built in units.

..Ned..remember the 'perfect' laptop I was looking at with Dell (Studio 14)...they took it off the market. I went to build it yesterday and was told 'no longer available' . Now I am starting over from scratch. BTW..they took the Vostro off, too.

The Inspirion makes a model that would work..but no bluetooth. Am I wrong to think it is a nice necessity?..My little netbook does NOT have a bluetooth and at times I wish it did. If I buy a laptop for my daughter w/o bluetooth I think it would be a mistake.

Is it possible to install bluetooth (downloadable in some fashion?..or in a thumbdrive?) after the fact?..Or should I look for laptops that have the bluetooth hardward installed?..

:confused:

AaronK
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Why do you need Bluetooth?

What devices do you plan on using with it? The only device I can come up with that would be useful would be a mouse, but there are other wireless mice available that use a USB dongle.

Ned
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Aaron, for me, I use bluetooth with my laptop for a portable printer instead of connecting with a cable. That's why I said if there's a use for it to get it.

Why do you need Bluetooth?

What devices do you plan on using with it? The only device I can come up with that would be useful would be a mouse, but there are other wireless mice available that use a USB dongle.

katroa
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Ditto on the printer...I also find pictures/ or folders on one computer and I want to transfer them to another (or even phone). Yeah I could send the file in an email, but that is just an extra step.

I WAS looking under 'home' and not small business. Odd how I put in 'vostro' under 'search' and nothing came up. I double checked under the laptop section . Sorry to give you a heart attack Ned!..I don't like how Dell has redesigned their website. Very confusing and time consuming to find what you want. Will look under the Dell 1458 for what I'm looking for...(and maybe the Vostro, too!).

Ned
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Unless you buy under a business name it's unlikely they'll let you buy except through the home division. The Studio 14 (1458) is in the home division.

The website is horrible as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it all that much as a business reseller for Dell.

The big problem with the website as far as I'm concerned is the Fast Track items. If you want to totally customize it's hard to figure out how to do that.

Ditto on the printer...I also find pictures/ or folders on one computer and I want to transfer them to another (or even phone). Yeah I could send the file in an email, but that is just an extra step.

I WAS looking under 'home' and not small business. Odd how I put in 'vostro' under 'search' and nothing came up. I double checked under the laptop section . Sorry to give you a heart attack Ned!..I don't like how Dell has redesigned their website. Very confusing and time consuming to find what you want. Will look under the Dell 1458 for what I'm looking for...(and maybe the Vostro, too!).

katroa
07-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Can you totally customize (like the old days??)..I thought they took that option off. I can purchase under 'business'...and AAA has the same discount as their university plan, btw.
Back to the slow and pokey website I go...on the hunt!!!

Ned
07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes you can. Go to the area you want. Then click on the laptop type you want. There should then be a header with Fast Track on the left, and Custom on the right. Choose custom, and that's like the old days. If you have trouble finding it, let me know.

Can you totally customize (like the old days??)..I thought they took that option off. I can purchase under 'business'...and AAA has the same discount as their university plan, btw.
Back to the slow and pokey website I go...on the hunt!!!