PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Crashes

jfrenaye
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
OK, any tips or suggestions?

Background: Win XP Pro, AVG 9.0 Anti Virus, Firefox 3.6.3

Issue: Last night, windows did an automatic update as did AVG. I postponed the restart as I was into something. I left PC on and when I awoke this morning, I saw my desktop and it appeared that the machine had restarted itself. No problems.

I started Firefox and it came up. There was a pop up from AVG suggesting that I use their new cool toolbar for Firefox. I figured to give it a shot as it had some decent features that I might like. I installed it. It required a restart of Firefox and when I did, FF came up briefly and then poof went away. I tried a few times and accepted the "report this crash to Mozilla".

I tried IE and had the same result.

I was able to reboot FF in a safe mode and was able to download 3.6.4 (supposedly crash proof) and install it. When I rebooted and restarted FF, same issue.

I have looked in AVG and my add/install and there is not an option to remove the toolbar (my suspect).

I did a system restore to two days ago, and it does not seem to have helped.

I am able to use Safari to surf (and I don't like it) and that is where I am now.

Any suggestions?

AaronK
06-23-2010, 08:07 AM
I can think of two ideas.

1. Load Firefox into Safe Mode. That should allow you to disable the AVG toolbar.

2. I suspect there is an option somewhere in AVG to dump the toolbar, just don't know where as I don't have access to a system with AVG at the minute. I suppose you could uninstall/reinstall AVG.

jfrenaye
06-23-2010, 08:38 AM
OK very bizzare...I will chalk it up to a glitch!

After doing a bit in Safari, I tried launching FF again (isn;t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over expecting a different result?) and low and behold it came up. Latest version of FF and seems stable now.

I am running the virus scan to be safe. I have looked all over AVG and cannot find where I can get rid of it, so I may reinstall AVG and use the custom settings to see if there is an option there.

I was able to go into the FF Add Ons and see the AVG toolbar but the "uninstall" is greyed out. All I can do is disable it.

Ned
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Get rid of the toolbar. There have been some articles on the 'net saying it's a looser and unstable.

jfrenaye
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Can't find a way. IN the addons in FF the UNINSTALL is greyed out. My only option is to ENABLE

Which might allow the UNINSTALL to become not greyed out, but I did not try.