PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and the Unresponsive Script

Gesualdo
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Ever since I upgraded my version of Firefox to 3.6, I've been getting "unresponsive script" errors at home and at work. Anyone else having this issue? I think I'm just going to switch to Opera for a little while. It seems like this particular version of Firefox is buggy.

Annette
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah I've had that problem too, and yes apparently this version of FF is a little buggy.

bravestar
05-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Odd. I've been using 3.6.3 and have not had one single issue so far.

Ned
05-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Yes, Annette's absolutely right. Personally, I went back to 3.5.7. I have few problems with it.

jfrenaye
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I am on 3.6.3 and no problems. There are a few incompatibilities wiht addons that I have had, but that is typical and the addon developer eventually catches up

Kairho
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Am also on 3.6.3 with zero problems.

Gesualdo
05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
How do you go back, Ned? Did you just keep an old copy of Firefox laying around?

bravestar
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Since there are several of us with the latest version and haven't had issues (I haven't had issues with ANY version of FF I've installed), I'm curious what occurs for the unresponsive script errors others are experiencing.

Yet, when the day comes (and it just might) where I'm honked off at the latest FF release and want to revert, I am also curious how that's done. The help files I've looked at online involve a lot of tedious procedures and whatnot, and I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Ned
05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
My problems aren't unresponsive scripts. I've had memory problems.

A lot of the problems have to do with what add-ons you're using, how they interact with each other, and how they interact with FF itself.

You can get the old version and they install it on top of the newer version. Many programs don't permit that, but FF does, however, sometimes Vista, Win 7, and Snow Leopard try to prevent it, but you can get around that.

Since there are several of us with the latest version and haven't had issues (I haven't had issues with ANY version of FF I've installed), I'm curious what occurs for the unresponsive script errors others are experiencing.

Yet, when the day comes (and it just might) where I'm honked off at the latest FF release and want to revert, I am also curious how that's done. The help files I've looked at online involve a lot of tedious procedures and whatnot, and I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Annette
05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
What I get is an error that says something to the effect of "A script on this page has stopped responding. do you want to terminate the script or allow it to continue" or something of that nature. I have no idea what's doing it. I've got ad block plus and java installed as add ons and that's about it.

Ned
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Annette, do you have the latest java update? Are you running Webroot Spy Sweeper? Per chance, are you running a McAfee antivirus product? Do you have the problem with only particular web sites?

What I get is an error that says something to the effect of "A script on this page has stopped responding. do you want to terminate the script or allow it to continue" or something of that nature. I have no idea what's doing it. I've got ad block plus and java installed as add ons and that's about it.

Annette
05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I should have the latest Java update, in fact I think it told me the other day it was updating. I do not run SpySweeper (had it years ago but it slowed my system down to a crawl) and I'm not fond of McAfee so definitely not running one of those.

My friend is a web developer and he tells me there have been all kinds of issues with this FF release though and he's not happy with it.

Loonbeam
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I always keep the last version of the FF installer around for a while. Worst case you can do a full uninstall and re-install of prior version.

Ned
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I think your friend is definitely right. I've had to change some programming on my websites which use php scripts, to accommodate the latest version of FF. I shouldn't have had to do that. I intend to reset the settings once the next version is out for a few weeks and see what happens.

Now to your problem. You might want to try this workaround.

In the Location bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.
The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear.
Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
In the about:config page, search for the preference dom.max_script_run_time, and double-click on it.
In the Enter integer value prompt, type 20.
Press OK.

With scripts now allowed to run for longer times, you may no longer receive the prompt.

If you still receive the prompt (or if you want to see it again), you should set that preference back to the default value. To do that:

In the Location bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.
The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear.
Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
In the about:config page, search for the preference dom.max_script_run_time.
Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on it and choose Reset.

I should have the latest Java update, in fact I think it told me the other day it was updating. I do not run SpySweeper (had it years ago but it slowed my system down to a crawl) and I'm not fond of McAfee so definitely not running one of those.

My friend is a web developer and he tells me there have been all kinds of issues with this FF release though and he's not happy with it.

Gesualdo
05-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I can't find 3.5.7 anywhere. I'm hoping 3.5.9 will work. I was able to find that one with a lot of digging around.

Ned
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Here's a link to Firefox 3.5.7

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/6825/

I can't find 3.5.7 anywhere. I'm hoping 3.5.9 will work. I was able to find that one with a lot of digging around.

Gesualdo
05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I guess I should have phrased that as "can't find it anywhere on Mozilla's site." I did find the filehippo site. I just wasn't sure if I could trust it. If you say so, then it must be okay.

Ned
05-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for your trust. That's where I get my old versions of FF.

I guess I should have phrased that as "can't find it anywhere on Mozilla's site." I did find the filehippo site. I just wasn't sure if I could trust it. If you say so, then it must be okay.

mercwyn
05-10-2010, 01:27 PM
My daughter was getting the same error as Annette and what I found is that she had downloaded a toolbar that was supposed to have a ticker built into it. Whenever her computer would sit idle long enough for the monitor to shut off, it would cause her to get this error when she would hit a key to power up the monitor. We deleted the toolbar and everything was good.

Gesualdo
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
What's with that Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, by the way? I sure didn't install that. I saw that it installed itself as part of a Windows update (gee thanks Microsoft!). Why would I need it, though? None of the "explanations" I'm reading about it really say much.

Ned
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Not only don't you need it G., you don't want it. It puts in a major security risk into FF.

Here's a removal method (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600).

What's with that Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, by the way? I sure didn't install that. I saw that it installed itself as part of a Windows update (gee thanks Microsoft!). Why would I need it, though? None of the "explanations" I'm reading about it really say much.

Gesualdo
05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
I already disabled it because I saw something to that effect, but I can't find anything that makes sense about what it is or why it was there in the first place. Just that it's bad stuff. In the process I found something about a plug-in that Microsoft secretly installed too, so that one went bye-bye too.