PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car and hail

Gesualdo
04-06-2010, 10:30 PM
For the first time I can remember, I got the hard sell for Enterprise's insurance. One of the big issues he was trying to use to convince me to buy it was the possibility of hail, which is a very real possibility around this part of the country. My own insurance does cover me for any car I drive, but from these forums, I am aware it probably doesn't cover me for what Enterprise might charge me for any loss of rental income.

Now that we have a very nasty storm overhead at the moment (I'm running on battery right now), I'm wondering if they can really charge hail damage to me. Yeah, the car was in my possession, but I didn't cause it directly or indirectly, other than perhaps not parking it in a garage. Do rental car companies do this?

bodega
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Yes they can and they will. Damage is damage, doesn't matter how it was caused to the rental car company.

Gesualdo
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Lovely. I should be glad it didn't hail then. Storm's over.

deangreenhoe
04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Lovely. I should be glad it didn't hail then. Storm's over.

If you don't have a garage to park it in, cover the top surfaces of the car with blankets during a storm. That's enough protection from damage during all but the most severe of hail storms.

Of course, hope it's not a real doozy like we had in this region yesterday, hail big and severe enough to trash the siding on a house, even bash in a few windows. It's definitely the season for "duck and cover." Yikes!