PDA

View Full Version : TripIt

AaronK
03-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi all.

I know some people here use TripIt. I was wondering what the general consensus on it was. As I just upgraded my cell phone to a Droid, the TripIt application is available, and I'm wondering if its worth it.

Thanks.

Loonbeam
03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I pretty much live by TripIt now. I know some on here have security concerns about putting travel schedules on a public venue, so far has not been a problem for me. I actually pay for the Pro version.

The basic version is free, and at least for the Iphone so is the App. I also bought FlightTracker, which syncs with Tripit Automatically.

The app makes it easy for my wife to know where I am, and for myself it keeps all my travel, confirmation #s etc in one easy to access place.

jfrenaye
03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
The app makes it easy for my wife to know where I am,

Perhaps not the BEST selling point. I'm just sayin'

AaronK
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks. I signed up and am I trying it out. If I restrict access only to people in my list, my travel plans aren't necessarily public.
So far it looks convenient. Not sure if the Pro version is worth it to me though. I'm not on the road that often.

Ned
03-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm with L. concerning TripIt. While I was an early critic of the product, they made so many improvements, including security, I have now become an avid user.

I too pay for the Pro version, and have the TripIt app on my iPhone. I too use Travel Tracker (I use the Pro edition) too.

I keep my travel information to a select few on TripIt. (Family, business partner)

In fact, the whole family uses it, so we can keep track of each other. (Mrs. N. sons, daughter-in-law, father)

I went to the TripIt Pro version primarily to keep track of my airline, train, credit card, and hotel accounts.

One of the best parts of TripIt is how it will suck in email reservation confirmations into your itineraries without you typing in the info. This feature has worked exceedingly well for me from airlines, Amtrak, and hotels. It's saved a lot of time, and a lot of effort.

I also extensively use the alerts provided under the Pro version including: Departure Summary and Gate Changes, Cancellations and Delays, Arrival and Connection Summaries, Check-in Reminder, and Schedule Changes.

You can export your itinerary to Outlook 2007, Google Calendar, iPhone & iCal, and Lotus Notes 8.5. I sync my iPhone with the Palm Desktop, via Outlook 2007, so I do sync TripIt itineraries to my calendar.

I definitely recommend the product, which I've mentioned in my column on CT.

I pretty much live by TripIt now. I know some on here have security concerns about putting travel schedules on a public venue, so far has not been a problem for me. I actually pay for the Pro version.

The basic version is free, and at least for the Iphone so is the App. I also bought FlightTracker, which syncs with Tripit Automatically.

The app makes it easy for my wife to know where I am, and for myself it keeps all my travel, confirmation #s etc in one easy to access place.

AaronK
03-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. I forwarded it 3 hotel reservations, and 2 car rental confirmations. The only mistake so far is that it picked up my car rentals at Thrifty as Dollar. Yes, I know they are the same company, but the word Dollar does not appear on any of my emails.

Loonbeam
03-29-2010, 09:01 AM
That's on their known bug list. It uses the format to determine the input model, not text content and Thrifty switched to the exact same format as Dollar, hence the confusion..

Thanks for the advice. I forwarded it 3 hotel reservations, and 2 car rental confirmations. The only mistake so far is that it picked up my car rentals at Thrifty as Dollar. Yes, I know they are the same company, but the word Dollar does not appear on any of my emails.

mercwyn
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Here is some additional detail on Tripit Pro and how to get a deal on it.

http://blog.christophersontravel.com/?paged=2

stephen_s
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I've used TripIt since I did a review on it a while back and I've enjoyed using it. I've gotten the Pro version too even though I only travel 3 or 4 times a year.