PDA

View Full Version : protection

susanliber
03-21-2010, 06:36 PM
The McAfee subscription expires soon on my husbands' laptop. I plan on getting him another one within 6 months.....I hate to pay for a year's subscription when I am not going to use and because I plan on getting the new laptop from Dell, it will come with protection on it.

Any one have any suggestions? The laptop is in Florida right now so anything will have to be downloaded when I go down there in April. I may bring it back home any way. (the place is staying in is supposed to have wifi in the rec room but pretty much it has been unoperable since he got there in January.

A free service will be good. All he pretty much uses it for is email, Pogo, and checking bank balences.

stephen_s
03-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Are you looking for Antivirus only or Antivirus/spyware?

If you're looking for Antivirus that's free, I recommend clamwin (http://www.clamwin.com).

Ad-aware is ok, too (http://www.lavasoft.com).

Ned
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I understand what you want Susan, though I don't consider the cost of antivirus subscriptions at all onerous.

The problem is while online banking, and even pogo games offer few hazards, and are therefore relatively safe, the same can't be said for email. Email processing gives computers major security weaknesses, and offer a real challenge to prevent damage to the computer and its systems.

As far as free antivirus programs go, while I prefer AVG Antivirus Free Edition (http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage) (now version 9.0) to Clamwin, either of these products should be generally up to the task, though much I prefer other products for which you must pay. Other products are more robust and have a better ability to keep viruses and malware from infecting computers.

I do not recommend any of the Ad-aware products for virus prevention, however, including the paid versions. While Ad-aware is pretty good at preventing (if you use the memory resident options) detecting and deleting many spyware products, in my opinion, it's not up to the job of general virus protection.

Stephen asked about spyware protection. If you're looking for that too, I have other recommendations in addition to the above.

Good luck.

The McAfee subscription expires soon on my husbands' laptop. I plan on getting him another one within 6 months.....I hate to pay for a year's subscription when I am not going to use and because I plan on getting the new laptop from Dell, it will come with protection on it.

Any one have any suggestions? The laptop is in Florida right now so anything will have to be downloaded when I go down there in April. I may bring it back home any way. (the place is staying in is supposed to have wifi in the rec room but pretty much it has been unoperable since he got there in January.

A free service will be good. All he pretty much uses it for is email, Pogo, and checking bank balences.

pezmanffx
03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
I use Vipre by sunbelt software for the office computers. Cnet gives them high marks. They also have a home version that had unlimited installs and a 3 year subscription for 140. I have it running on 8 laptops and 1 server and have yet to get a virus/spyware.

stephen_s
03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I use Vipre Premium, which comes with a firewall. The firewall is redundant for me since the router/access point that came with my AT&T Uverse has a firewall, but I got it free for one year, so I might as well use it :).

I use Vipre by sunbelt software for the office computers. Cnet gives them high marks. They also have a home version that had unlimited installs and a 3 year subscription for 140. I have it running on 8 laptops and 1 server and have yet to get a virus/spyware.

Loonbeam
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
As a side note, many McAfee subscriptions can be transferred to a different machine (if the new machine doesn't come with it).

AaronK
03-22-2010, 04:58 AM
I've heard good things about the free Microsoft product.

pezmanffx
03-22-2010, 05:59 AM
The thing I like about Vipre is that it doesnt bog down your system at startup.

tdew
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Some banks (Bank of America for one) offer free McAfee.

susanliber
03-22-2010, 07:15 AM
BOA offers free McAfee? I will have to check that one out....that is the bank that he checks on. It will all have to wait though until I go down on the 16th - then will have to find a hotspot to do it in. Maybe I will have him bring the computer to the airport and get it done right away.

Thanks for the suggestions...If there are any more, keep them coming.

Annette
03-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I use F-prot. I used to use it long ago back when it was a DOS only program. My computer had a virus, I knew it did because I could tell something was wrong. Norton couldn't find it, McAfee was useless. F-prot couldn't identify what it was but knew that it was a virus from the heuristics it uses to identify them and managed to quarantine the file despite not having a specific identifier file for it.

It used to be free when it was a DOS program, now they have a 30 day free trial and then it's $29 for a year but is licenced for up to 5 computers. Although I note they do have free versions for Linux, BSD and Solaris Sparc.

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/

rampo
03-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I've been very happy with Avast (http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download), but if you have cable internet your internet provider may offer free McAfee as well. My Comcast does.

mercwyn
03-22-2010, 01:17 PM
AOL offers free Macfee.