PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - How do I make it stop bumping?

tdew
03-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I know that sounds like a strange way to describe the problem, that's why I'm asking it here instead of doing a search to find an answer.

It's a new feature of windows 7 - if you move a screen to the edge of the desktop and bump the wall, it opens in full screen. Is there a way to turn that feature off? I use two screens often and copy info from one to another. The tabs don't provide the same easy way to do that - but when I'm lining up my screens to do something like that, one false move and BAM I've got to move the big one again... a minor annoyance, but if it can be turned off, I'd rather do that.

Ned
03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Good morning Terry.

This feature is called "Aero Snap." It's a new feature for Windows found in Windows 7. In it individual dialogue boxes automatically arrange (It's called docking.) when moved to the edge of the screen. When you drag a window (dialogue box) to the left side of the screen, it will automatically dock to the left side of the screen taking half of the screen space. The same goes for the right side. When dragged to the top of the screen, the window maximizes, filling the entire screen.

You can disable Aero Snap abilities to auto arrange or auto maximize window when dragging.

Here's the procedure:

Go to Control Panel.
Click on Ease of Access link or Ease of Access Center icon.
Select Change how your mouse works or Make the mouse easier to use option.
Click the check box for Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen with the mouse under “Make it easier to manage windows” section.
Click OK or Apply to make the change effective.

Once Aero Snap is disabled, the window won’t automatically maximize and/or arrange when a window or dialogue box is dragged to the edge of the screen, including both top and sides of the screen.

Let me know if you have difficulty changing the setting or if it doesn't work. This feature is in my most annoying features list of Windows 7. For the life of me, I don't understand why it's there.

jrmsp
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I actually love it for that reason; if you need to copy things from one window to another, or need to transcribe something, bam! two perfectly sized windows, side-by-side.

Ned
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Putting windows side by side has been a feature in Windows since Windows 95. That's nothing new. All you have to do is right click on the task bar and choose "Tile Windows Vertically." All open windows on the primary screen will then be arranged vertically, side by side.

My problem with Aero snap is that it disables my ability to arrange multiple windows any way I like with some close to the edge of the screen without them tiling or maximizing, which I don't want. There are many times I have as many as 10-14 windows open between my dual screens.

tdew
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Once Aero Snap is disabled, the window won’t automatically maximize and/or arrange when a window or dialogue box is dragged to the edge of the screen, including both top and sides of the screen.
Wooh hooh! Thank you. I'm glad I asked.
I really did hate that feature and kept activating it accidently. I don't necessarily want exactly the same screen sizes side by side. I often want just one part of a page and a different part of another page. I resize to make it easy to see the exact spots I want.