PDA

View Full Version : Major email problem....SOS

sherri
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I am having a major problem with not receiving about 50% emails. The person sending does not get an error message saying it didn't go through and I am not getting the email.
I have a wesbite hosted by yahoo and email address threm them also. They did a trace and found no problems. Sent me an email and I received, but I am getting many, many phone calls from customers sating they sent an email that I didn't receive.
This has been happening since Christmas and is not isolated to any one day, ISP, area of the state- totally random.
Running Windows Vista IE 7, and emails not coming into Windows Mail or yahoo account. No spam blocks on my account and person sending does not get a bounce.
Also am forwarding emails from yahoo into windows mail, but also checking yahoo for any messages not delivered and they have all been sent.
Yahoo tech support ran another check today and I received the emails they sent. I forwarded them 2 emails I had not received, but were of no help. Can anyone help with ideas?

Ned
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I can't tell from your message, are you checking your account via the web too?

You need to isolate the problem. Is it from the sender to Yahoo, so that the mail isn't showing in the Yahoo box, or is it not getting from the Yahoo to you?

Loonbeam
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Also is it a yahoo.com address or a personal domain?

sherri
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
nI am also checking mail on yahoo web and it's not there if was forwarded to windows mail. None in junk box either. I am not sure where the problem is as the email messages from these people are not showing in yahoo or windows mail and the people sending them are not getting a bounce.
We are using a personal domain email address.
No changes have been to made to domain in the last year.

Ned
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
If you are using webmail from Yahoo, whether their domain or yours, and the mail isn't in the box, we can be pretty darn sure the problem is at Yahoo.

See if you can work out with their customer service, you will have someone send you an email who has had a problem get it to you while you're on the phone with Yahoo who can monitor the server on which your box is located. That way they can see the problem.

There is another possibility. Are the emails coming to you from various domains or mainly one or two, and are the emails coming via a particular Internet provider for those sending your emails. There is an outside chance of a Name Server problem with those sending your email.

Once you have that info, Yahoo customer service should be able to assist you.

sherri
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Everytime CS at yahoo sent an email today in trying to troubleshoot, I received it.
The other emails I am not receiving are coming from various domains. Will start keeping a log on ISP's not coming through.
I normally don't use webmail, but use Windows Mail. Since I wasn't getting messages on Windows Mail, checked over at Yahoo webmail and all messages received were forwarded as I indicated. There were none in junk box.
I am just not getting most of the personal emails and seem to be getting more email blasts from vendors, kinda like a reverse spam

Loonbeam
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm wondering if your personal domain got put on a blacklist somewhere. Some companies use software like that to filter outbound messages, as do ISPs to prevent outbound spam, and I have seen compromised bot computers trigger that kind of response. The fun part is that finding out if you are is extremely difficult.

tdew
01-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm wondering if your personal domain got put on a blacklist somewhere. Some companies use software like that to filter outbound messages, as do ISPs to prevent outbound spam, and I have seen compromised bot computers trigger that kind of response. The fun part is that finding out if you are is extremely difficult.

We recently went through a bit of this - hotmail was blocking all email from att.net
A notice would come back saying that it had been blocked. I guess because it was a major company it got cleared up before very long.
It might very well be something to look into - but I'd think the sender would be getting the bounce notifications...

Ned
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
But doesn't being on a blacklist mean your outgoing mail is blocked, not your incoming mail?

I had a client blacklisted by Verizon for a week until we were able to clear it up. While he couldn't get anything through during the blacklist week to Verizon email boxes, he was still getting in mail from Verizon customers.

Loonbeam
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
I've seen some of the hardware based solutions that are centrally updated just eat the emails, possibly assuming that the system admins will handle notifications. For example, two companies ago, thanks to a bad list, any mail addressed to AOL vanished for a week until one of the system people noticed the queue.

roteague
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
You being blacklisted shouldn't stop people from sending you email, only stop you from receiving email. I would rather suspect the people sending the email have their domain blocked. As you found out, you were able to receive messages through a different account. Have some who's messages aren't getting through, email you on a different account.

tdew
01-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Not sure if this and similar responses are in reply to my post

"You being blacklisted shouldn't stop people from sending you email, only stop you from receiving email. I would rather suspect the people sending the email have their domain blocked. As you found out, you were able to receive messages through a different account. Have some who's messages aren't getting through, email you on a different account"

What I was describing was outgoing mail. My husband (ATT.net) was trying to send mail to my daughter (hotmail)
He forwarded the bounce notice to me to look into it.

I'm sorry if I've gotten something twisted here. I've been reading these quickly and trying to catch up on all that I've missed in the last 2 1/2 weeks, it just seemed to fit...

roteague
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Ahh ... that makes sense. Unfortunately, getting off the blacklist isn't easy. Unfortunately, it's something that I have no experience with either. Sorry, I hope you get it fixed.