PDA

View Full Version : Qantas offers Americans $859 return flights

roteague
01-11-2010, 10:03 PM
FYI:

"Qantas offers Americans $859 return flights

A new $1 million marketing campaign has been launched to try to lure more visitors from the US to NSW.

The state government and Qantas are spending the cash trying to further exploit a market which in 2009 provided the fourth highest number of visitors to NSW.

Qantas is promoting round-trip flights from LA and San Francisco for $US798 ($A859) and from New York for $US998 ($A1074)."

FULL ARTICLE (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-offers-americans-859-return-flights-20100112-m3hj.html)

BTW, return means round-trip in Aussie speak.

bodega
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
They want tourists on the planes! This fall, from SFO, fares to Sydney were in the mid $300 range, including all nonstop flights:eek: I only wished I could have taken advantage of it.

roteague
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
They want tourists on the planes! This fall, from SFO, fares to Sydney were in the mid $300 range, including all nonstop flights:eek: I only wished I could have taken advantage of it.

Yeah, but that was because there was a major fare war going on between the major players that fly that route. It was sparked by Virgin entering the route.

Those cheap fares didn't do me any good either, because I live in Hawaii, and it didn't make sense for my to fly to CA to make one of those flights. The new ones aren't of any value to me either. :(

bodega
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
From SFO on VA, you have to fly to LAX, so it to see the nonstops from SFO at the low price was surprising. While we often get common rated fares for LAX and SFO, often the nonstops are higher. It was an amazing fare.

roteague
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
From SFO on VA, you have to fly to LAX, so it to see the nonstops from SFO at the low price was surprising. While we often get common rated fares for LAX and SFO, often the nonstops are higher. It was an amazing fare.

I'm surprised as well, although the Aussie dollar is particulary strong right now, and a lot of Australians are travelling outside of Australia (their domestic travel industry is hurting).

FWIW, I quit flying Qantas years ago, primarily due to their carryon luggage restrictions. But, what I don't get, is carryon allowance from the mainland US is 15kg, where it is only 7kg from Hawaii. I read that the higher allowances are required for North America, but Hawaii isn't considered NA. Fortunately, Hawaiian alllows 15kg and normally has better airfares.