PDA

View Full Version : My Food Blog

tammysf
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
hey everyone,

I shared my gardening blog, here is my food blog. it's really just a place to keep my favorite recipes.

as you can see i have a little bit of a sweet tooth.

http://tammysfoodblog.blogspot.com/

jjjenny
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Tammy,
I really enjoyed looking at your blog and will definately enjoy trying some of your recipes.

CruiseExpert
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I'll be giving that Nan recipe a try with my Chickpea Curry.

tammysf
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
jeanne, thanks for checking the blog out...

cruise expert...just a warning the naan is amazing...so much better than what you can get from the restaurants.

can you send me your chickpea curry recipe? love indian food but no place delivers and going with 2 babies is out of the question...

CruiseExpert
01-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Tammy,

I'll post it here for the indian food fans. I saute several cloves of crushed garlic with a small diced onion in a saucepan with vegetable oil until golden brown, add two cans of chickpeas including the liquid, add spice mix (i use about 1/2 the packet) and bring to a boil, cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until chickpeas get a little mushy and liquid thickens. Serve with basmati rice or nan bread.

The best spice mix to use is Murgh Cholay Curry Mix by Shan. Chana Masala mix is also good; but, much milder. Indian Grocers carry an array of ready to use blends for different recipies. I also love the Shan Dal Mix for Lentils.

In a pinch you can use any curry powder (2-3 tablespoons) you have on hand or any and all of the following to do your own thing. Coriander, Paprika, Red Chili, Clove, Cardamon, Tumeric, Nutmeg, Mace, Cumin, Garlic, Salt, Pepper.

Let me know how yours turns out. I'm printing the Nan recipe now. Let's see who reports back first.

tammysf
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
CE,

i have curry, tumeric, garam masala..do you think that will work?

deangreenhoe
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
CE,

I would think a good garam masala should work since it's a mixture of several of the spices that CE mentioned above. I'm personally a garam masala freak - it's the seasoning of the gods. :)

I make a chickpea curry that's similar but do my chhole Punjabi style with ginger, chopped tomato and green chilies in addition to the onions and garlic, toss in a bit of fresh cilantro at the end if I have it on hand.

Sometimes I enjoy it a bit thicker so will cook the hell out of the chickpeas until they really break down, use a bit of vegetable stock for a cooking medium until it mostly evaporates, or even plain yogurt if I'm in the mood for a richer sauce.

One of these days I'm going to try the nan recipe. First I need to get some fresh okra so I can have it also with bhindi masala. Yum.

Must exit thread now. Getting hungry. ;-)

deangreenhoe
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
The best spice mix to use is Murgh Cholay Curry Mix by Shan. Chana Masala mix is also good; but, much milder. Indian Grocers carry an array of ready to use blends for different recipies. I also love the Shan Dal Mix for Lentils.

I think Shan has the best Indian spice mixes. I have to drive nearly 60 miles to the closest Asian market to get it though. That sucks. :rolleyes:

CruiseExpert
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
CE,

Yes, but get the mix when you have a chance.

I think Shan has the best Indian spice mixes. I have to drive nearly 60 miles to the closest Asian market to get it though. That sucks. :rolleyes:

I recently moved to Ormond Beach and it's now closer to 75 miles for me to the Bombay Bazaar in Orlando. I am due for a run.

CruiseExpert
01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Tammy, Thanks for sharing. The Naan was was awesome. It won't be long until, I'll be making it again.

CruiseExpert
03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
This may be the best thing since sliced bread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

pezmanffx
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I work about 3 miles from a Penzeys. They also sell online. I go crazy for their vindalo spice mix. I also get my Garam Masala there. One of my favorate cook books is Indian Home Cooking by Saran.

http://www.penzeys.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Home-Cooking-Introduction-Recipes/dp/0609611011

pezmanffx
03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Just read your Pho recipe. It looks almost perfect. The only thing I would change to make it "authentic" is to get rid of the parsley. Also, most put a squirt of hosan sauce. Anyhow, instead of the red chili paste try Sriracha sauce .

Now if I could only get the mother in law to brown the ginger and onions in the oven instead of shoving them on a fork and using the burners :)