PDA

View Full Version : I'm a spammer?

tdew
11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
This is a puzzle...
I tried sending a countdown to a cruise to myself in an email to see how it came through. It was put into the junk mail folder. I told both Outlook and Eset security that this is not junk, and have listed my email address as a safe sender, but no matter what I send to myself, it goes directly to my junk mail folder. I've looked at all my rules and don't find anything to account for it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

susanliber
11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Aren't computers wonderful?

I have had this happen too. I always check my junk mail folders before I delete them.

( I wish mine worked.....I am on hubby's....after 13 hours online and on the phone with Dell and McAfee - because my computer froze when running the virus scan and it hit one particular file - my whole computer is dead dead dead. The laptop I bought in May....they are send me a new hard drive and apparently expect me to put it in myself. They also are send me more memory for this one......All this after I spent nearly $500 on software warrently for the 2 computers and memory card and the special online Dell support. I like Dell but my confidence in their product has been seriously compromised...the techs told me not to keep any thing important on the computer! Granted the most important things I have on the computer are my pictures. I do have an external hard drive that my regular IT guy is supposed to be putting my hard drive on from my desktop when the processor failed in April....Just not my year with computers.)

Loonbeam
11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Most likely, the countdown widget has an html link to an external site that is considered suspicious and that's what's triggering the junk designation (that will override a safe sender list entry)

As far as the Virus Scan issue, if its the one I am thinking of, it sounds like a basic hard drive failure (which happens, regardless of manufacturer since they don't make their own). Swapping out an HD is really easy, you will have no issues, the big trick is keep your work area clean of dust while you do it...

tdew
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Most likely, the countdown widget has an html link to an external site that is considered suspicious and that's what's triggering the junk designation (that will override a safe sender list entry)

No, I thought that might be it, so I sent just a plain text message to myself and it too ends up in the junk mail folder.

Loonbeam
11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Hmm. Does your ISP embed anything in the email?

roteague
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
It depends upon a lot of factors, to many to list. But probably the most common: the type of account used (hotmail, gmail, etc.), and the wording in the actual message itself.

Adding your email to the safe list isn't always a guarantee that it will not be flagged as spam. That is because it is alwasy possible for someone else to send a message using your email address in the "to" field.

Unfortunately, one of the results of a email standard that was written years ago (and didn't take into account the bad guys out there) and is now so extensive it's almost impossible to update.

tdew
11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Well, I just tried it out on my new computer, with a new copy of outlook and all new security.

My email provider is att.net
For a long time it was listed as worldnet.att.net but then we were notified that we could leave out the worldnet and it would still work.

I'm thinking that maybe somehow it's been flagged? I've also tried sending messages to myself from other addresses in the package.
I only keep the att.net address because I've had it for many, many years and would hate to change it.

NO, it can't be the att.net address, as I get email from my husband on the same acct and that comes through.

The message said
New Email
This is a whole new email message from me to me.
Then ESET security puts a note to say that it's free of virus, etc.

Is there anyplace that you can check to see if a certain address is on a blacklist? Is all my mail going in the garbage?