PDA

View Full Version : America West upgrades

Gigs
10-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Does anyone know how much it costs to upgrade an America West flight to first class? I have heard it is as cheap as $50 each way. I am flying Thursday from Boston to Vegas and would certainly pay for it.

stephen_s
10-04-2005, 08:52 AM
From their website http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/tra...ssupgrades.aspx (http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/travelplanning/firstclass/firstclassupgrades.aspx)

Upgrade Fee Calculation
You may upgrade to first class on the day of your flights only for the flights flown that day. Upgrade costs are based on distance and number of segments.

Miles, One Way* Fee
0-500* $50
501-1000* $100
Over 1000* $150
Non-stop Coast-to-Coast* $200

So in your case, it would be $150 one way because the mileage is 2062.7 (unless AWA considers it C2C).

Ned
10-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I wonder if these upgrades available for cash purchase on America West will continue to be available much longer. I don't believe there has ever been a similar upgrade path at US Air, and now that these two airlines have merged, will this upgrade method disappear? And if it remains, how will it fit in with free upgrades for Elite level frequent flyers?

Already, there have been significant changes to both company's frequent flyer programs to prepare to merge the two by the spring of 2006.

missalf
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Ned,
I was on an AW flight yesterday and they were still promoting the "as low as $50.00" upgrade during their in-flight informative session RE: the merger with US Air, so it's still currently available.

Now, as to your other question, how long it will still go on....got a good crystal ball?

jfrenaye
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I was invited to a senior US meeting several months ago and they floated that idea out there. In hindsight, it was probably in preparation for the merger annoncement. I think it willstay. It is additional revenue as it is typically ony available at check in ala Air Tran

DCTravelAgent
10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
US upgrades at the gate for $50.00 pp. Been there, done that.

Gigs
10-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah, the vegas airport is a mess right now with the merger of the airlines. Only four of the computerized auto check-ins worked. Lines were tied up and nobody could give good directions on where to go. I tried calling AmericaWest 30 hours before my flight to get the upgrade. I was told that is the first available time you can get it. When I got to the airport, the auto check-in asked me if I wanted to upgrade the seat. Then, when I said "yes", it gave me an error and kicked me off the computer. I wound up not gettign the upgrade, but did change my seat to an emergency row.

Word of advice: On AmericaWest, try to get the second emergency row. The seats recline in that row, but not in the first. Also, the second row has the "money seat" as I like to call it. The window seat of the second emergency row has no seat in front of it so a person can stretch. However, you will have to store your stuff above you, which is a pain to get to.

silver cloud
10-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Good info Gigs! I was stuck in the first exit row the first time I went to Vegas. It was a 3 1/2 hour flight with no reclining. Now - I didn't mind that so much as the direct flight home which was the red eye and 4 hours long. Then we had a 5 hour drive home so I was NOT a happy camper.

The travel agent hadn't gotten us specific seats so we were stuck.

Mary

Originally posted by Gigs@Oct 13 2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah, the vegas airport is a mess right now with the merger of the airlines. Only four of the computerized auto check-ins worked. Lines were tied up and nobody could give good directions on where to go. I tried calling AmericaWest 30 hours before my flight to get the upgrade. I was told that is the first available time you can get it. When I got to the airport, the auto check-in asked me if I wanted to upgrade the seat. Then, when I said "yes", it gave me an error and kicked me off the computer. I wound up not gettign the upgrade, but did change my seat to an emergency row.

Word of advice: On AmericaWest, try to get the second emergency row. The seats recline in that row, but not in the first. Also, the second row has the "money seat" as I like to call it. The window seat of the second emergency row has no seat in front of it so a person can stretch. However, you will have to store your stuff above you, which is a pain to get to.

Ned
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Oct 12 2005, 02:16 PM
I was invited to a senior US meeting several months ago and they floated that idea out there.* In hindsight, it was probably in preparation for the merger annoncement.* I think it will stay. It is additional revenue as it is typically ony available at check in ala Air Tran

Thanks for the info, but that begs a new question especially in light of new posts on the US Air and America West web sites. US Air elite Dividend Miles passengers can get a free upgrade (no points) on US Air Flights and America West flights as well. All you have to do is request them up to the day of departure. You get them according to the normal pecking order: Chairman, Gold, Silver and coming soon Platinum in between Chairman and Gold. America West elite level FlightFund flyers can now get the same benefit on both airlines too. Starting with the 2006 elite members group you won't even have to request an upgrade. You'll get it in the order of when you made your reservation, within the pecking order.

So the question is, how is anyone going to buy these upgrades if they're already gone. I know I've not been on a US Air flight in the last couple of years in which by the time elite Dividend Miles passengers got their upgrades (me included) that there were any empty first class seats.

Personally, I think that by the time we get to next spring, purchasing an upgrade will be a thing of the past at US Air/America West. There just won't be any seats available to buy, so US Air/America West will drop the plan.

Ned
10-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Gigs@Oct 13 2005, 09:10 AM

Good advice Gigs.

I wanted to follow up on your advice and add to it. You can find out which seats are great, ordinary or bad news at Seat Guru (http://seatguru.com). You can find out how any plane in all the airlines' fleets which fly in the US are configured. I've been using Seat Guru for quite some time now to help me choose my seats when making my reservations. Not only will it tell you if a seat is good or bad, it will tell you why!