PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in the Denver, CO area with a 3-YO?

Arizona Road Warrior
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
In September, we are going to Denver, CO. Currently, we have day and half that is unplanned. It is our preference to have an outdoor activity (with an indoor activity as a backup in case of bad weather) for our 3-YO. What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Kairho
08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
If you are on the west side of town, the Colorado Train Museum in Golden may keep him (and you) occupied for a while. May even be considered educational. (Did *I* say that? !)

Oh, and after the museum, there's the Coors brewery. There, I am redeemed.

Arizona Road Warrior
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
If you are on the west side of town, the Colorado Train Museum in Golden may keep him (and you) occupied for a while. May even be considered educational. Thank you...we are taking our son to the 'Day Out With Thomas' at the Colorado Train Museum.

Gesualdo
08-25-2009, 08:11 PM
The brewery is a lot of fun, and surprisingly educational. Don't know if it moves fast enough for a toddler, though. When we went to CO on the honeymoon, we went to visit Buffalo Bill's grave on a total whim. Yeah it was cheesy, but we had a great time, we bought some silly kitsch, the view was fantastic, and we were left with some great memories and storied photos - which I still need to scan.

There's always the possibility of a visit to the Mint, but I still don't know if that's an activity you want to try with a 3 year-old. If you do, you'll need to plan ahead and score an invitation from your local Senator or Representative in the House. We didn't know we needed one, so we didn't get to go.

Also, Denver has a fantastic zoo. And you might check out the aquarium - might be worth a look for an indoor backup.

And if you can stand it...Colorado Springs is only about an hour and a half away. Taking the train up Pikes Peak is great fun. They give a great spiel and there's lots of wildlife and scenery to see. We also took a carriage tour of "old Colorado City" which is close to where Pikes Peak is located, but not quite in Colorado Springs (neither is Pikes Peak). The tour was done by a moonlighting private detective, so we got history from a law and order perspective...or is it intrigue?

More information than you probably were expecting or even wanted, but there it is. Colorado is one of my favorite places. I have an aunt that lives in Golden and works very near the Coors Brewery. I've been there often, although not often enough since high school. Last time I went was six years ago. I'd say I'm overdue for another visit.

bodega
08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Gesualdo mentioned what I was going to tell you about and that is Buffalo Bill's grave. However, there is more to it than that which might interest your 3 year old. You take Interstate 70 out of Golden. There is a government run bison run right along the interstate near the turn off to Look Out Mountain, where Buffalo Bill is buried. There were several families out the evening watching the buffalo, which are behind fencing and then the view from Look Out Mountain of the city of Denver and the plains is interesting for the adults to view.

There is also a government run wildlife refudge out by the Denver airport. There was a groundhog village right along side the road once you get into the refuge that we enjoyed. We just sat in our car and watched them. This is an area that in the winter is full of eagles, so you will most likey be a bit early for there return but there is a small museum on the flora and fauna that is very family friendly with a child's section.

Of course your child has to have their photo taken by mom or dad on the steps of the Capital next to the medallion that marks being one mile high!

When our kids were 1 and 2 1/2 we were in Denver and went to the Denver History Museum. I am not sure they got a lot out of it, but I found it interesting and made sure we got back there last year when we were back in Denver.