PDA

View Full Version : Cheesesteak not Philly’s best sandwich?

TPARick
05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Cheesesteak not Philly’s best sandwich?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090526_Cheesesteak_not_Phillys_best_sandwich_.ht ml?cmpid=16339736

Loonbeam
05-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Iconic doesn't always mean best. Cheesesteaks may be best known, but I actually prefer a nice roast pork myself...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090526_Cheesesteak_not_Phillys_best_sandwich_.ht ml?cmpid=16339736

jfrenaye
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
MODS---can someone please delete this thread. Blasphemy I say!

Kairho
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Sore losers.

TPARick
05-26-2009, 04:16 PM
MODS---can someone please delete this thread. Blasphemy I say!

Why John because Pats steaks is not number 1?

Ned
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
The assertion that the roast pork sandwich is better than the steak sandwich on its face is flatly and patently absurd. :D

wrp96
05-26-2009, 04:57 PM
What kind of crackpot newspaper is that to even suggest such a thing?

jfrenaye
05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I can scrap with the Geno/Pat/Jim/ whomever steak battle, but pork on a roll...come on!

Loonbeam
05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Pork Roll is something different
I can scrap with the Geno/Pat/Jim/ whomever steak battle, but pork on a roll...come on!

jfrenaye
05-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I know what porkroll is and I do love it. But it is not a Philly sandwich and roasted pork on a roll---come one!

pezmanffx
05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Outside of a beef on wick, the cheesesteak is king of all sandwiches. This reporter should be taken out behind the barn and whipped.

jfrenaye
05-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Outside of a beef on wick,
Uhm...I almost hate to ask?

pezmanffx
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
It is what Buffalo is actually known for. Chicken wings are just a minor player.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=82951

Ned
05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Ah, "Kummelweck." That's an old German Jewish roll from the southern Germany where my ancestors came from. I know it well.

There are a few, very few, Jewish bakeries in the Philadelphia area which make the roll today.

So the term really should be "Beef on a weck" not "Beef on a wick." Had you put it that way I would have know what you were talking about. I think people now write it "wick" because that's how you pronounce "weck" in both German and Yiddish.

A hot, freshly baked Kummelweck is an absolutely outstanding roll. I have a suspicion, the founder of Cosi, must have had Kummelwecks as a child to have invented the breads Cosi bakes for its sandwiches. Maybe some day I'll find out what his inspiration was.

It is what Buffalo is actually known for. Chicken wings are just a minor player.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=82951

pezmanffx
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Ned, any of them ship? I can't find weck's around here.

Ned
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll find out, but I doubt it. I go to one every Friday for our Shabbat Challah. I'll ask then. Maybe one of the Buffalo bakeries are online.

Ned, any of them ship? I can't find weck's around here.

TPARick
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
You may want to try this idea. according to what I read,they don't ship very well. There are several recipes online, that you could back at home.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/beefonweckkumme.shtml

pezmanffx
05-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I've tried modifying kaiser rolls and it just isnt the same. I think I will have to buy some and freeze them the next time I am back there.

Ned
05-27-2009, 04:33 PM
How about the recipe for...

Kummelweck Rolls Recipe

Ingredients:
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons softened margarine
1 egg white (room temperature)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package dry yeast
1 1/2 cup hot tap water
Melted butter
Kosher salt
Caraway seeds

Directions:
Thoroughly mix 1 1/3 cup of flour, the sugar, and salt and undissolved yeast in a large bowl. Add softened margarine. Gradually add tap water to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.

Add egg white and another 1 cup of flour--enough to make a thick batter. Beat at high-speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

Stir in enough additional flour to make soft dough. Turn out on a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover bowl. Let rise in a warm place free from drafts until double in bulk, about 45 minutes. Test by pushing fingers into the top of the dough. If the indentation remains, after fingers are removed dough is ready.

Punch down. Place on a floured board. Knead gently for a minute or two. Bread into 2 ounce pieces (a little less than 1/4 cup.). Form into balls. Let them stand covered on the board for 15 minutes.

TO SHAPE THE ROLLS: Swab a small amount of melted butter on top of each roll. Using a 1/2 inch dowel, press across each roll firmly. Then, make another indentation at right angles to the first crease, forming 4 equal segments. The dough should now be thin enough in the center to see the board through it.

Pick up each creased roll. Gently squeeze it together, compressing the quarters somewhat. Turn face down on greased baking sheet. Repeat with each roll. Then cover the rolls and let rise again until dough, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix coarse or kosher salt with caraway seed, proportion according to taste. Rub through the fingers to combine flavors.
Turn each roll face up. With a pastry brush, lightly brush top of the roll with water; sprinkle well with caraway mixture.

Bake for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

While baking, place a pan with a small amount of water at the bottom of the oven while rolls are baking. This creates steam, which will allow the rolls to "bloom"-the quartered segments will spread out gently givng a rounded rather peaked top.

bodega
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM
The assertion that the roast pork sandwich is better than the steak sandwich on its face is flatly and patently absurd. :D
You are right. It is pulled pork that is better:p Add some cold slaw on top of the pork and a side of sweet potato fries and the south wins!!

Ned
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Slaw on top of the pork?:eek:

I love sweet potato fries.

These sandwiches are all so different, and excellent as separate entities, I don't understand how it makes sense to declare one is better than the other. It's like trying to decide which is a better beverage, ice tea or champagne. It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare these foods.

You are right. It is pulled pork that is better:p Add some cold slaw on top of the pork and a side of sweet potato fries and the south wins!!

bodega
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
The slaw on the pulled pork is very popular in North Carolina. I can't have a pulled pork sandwich without it. Yum!!

This is all in fun Ned, don't take it so seriously!

Ned
05-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm not. I just never heard of putting slaw on a pork sandwich, and really can't imagine it at this point.

The slaw on the pulled pork is very popular in North Carolina. I can't have a pulled pork sandwich without it. Yum!!

This is all in fun Ned, don't take it so seriously!

bodega
05-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Think of it as adding lettuce with some mayo. It gives the sandwich crunch and moisture. In NC, pulled pork is called BBQ. Here BBQ can be lots of things, but I got chided when I asked was in BBQ. The girl rolled her eyes and firmly told this stupid yankee it was BBQ. It took another employee to tell me it was pork.

Fortunately a small place recently opened up in Santa Rosa that has BBQ and homemake sweet potato chips, so we can get our fix when the mood strikes!

deangreenhoe
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm not. I just never heard of putting slaw on a pork sandwich, and really can't imagine it at this point.

You are in dire need of a trip to MEMPHIS! I was going to post earlier that I'd sooner take any sandwich from a Memphis BBQ joint on any sort of bread than a Philly Cheese Steak. (Point taken about no fair comparison but pushed aside.) As a born and raised Yankee I was a bit surprised about the slaw on the sandwich deal but now I require it for maximum enjoyment.

And yeah, I'm one of those annoying passengers who have to board the aircraft at MEM with a sack carrying a to-go order of BBQ any time I pass through. The top local joints have shops in the concourses which makes it impossible to resist. I can't think of another U.S. airport with such a strong sense of place as MEM. As you exit the jet bridge there's the sound of Elvis and the smell of the best BBQ in the country in the air. I adore the place. :)

Ned
05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I love visiting Memphis. I've had a lot of fun there every time I've been there. I have a client just outside of Memphis, so I get to go there periodically, but I've never put slaw on BBQ.

By the way, forgetting my severe allergy to melted cheese, I would NEVER have a true "Philly" cheese steak. The cheese is synthetic and in this person's humble opinion, a w f u l, though some think it makes the sandwich. I do love the Pat's "Philly" steak though. They have great quality steak (you never get gristle and it's not fatty) perfectly cooked so it's not dried out, cook the onions just right, and the Amoroso rolls used are the best sandwich rolls baked anywhere in the world.

I also love great BBQ. While Memphis BBQ is excellent, I've got to say the best BBQ I've every had was in Ft. Worth, TX. Angelo's BBQ is the best in my opinion. I've got a trip to Ft. Worth coming up in Feb. 2010 and you'll find me at Angelo's at least twice that week.

You are in dire need of a trip to MEMPHIS! I was going to post earlier that I'd sooner take any sandwich from a Memphis BBQ joint on any sort of bread than a Philly Cheese Steak. (Point taken about no fair comparison but pushed aside.) As a born and raised Yankee I was a bit surprised about the slaw on the sandwich deal but now I require it for maximum enjoyment.

And yeah, I'm one of those annoying passengers who have to board the aircraft at MEM with a sack carrying a to-go order of BBQ any time I pass through. The top local joints have shops in the concourses which makes it impossible to resist. I can't think of another U.S. airport with such a strong sense of place as MEM. As you exit the jet bridge there's the sound of Elvis and the smell of the best BBQ in the country in the air. I adore the place. :)

bodega
05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
I was watching Guy Fieri's show last night, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and he was in Memphis having a pulled pork sandwich with slaw on top. I was jealous. It looked SO good!

deangreenhoe
05-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Well now you are just making me want to go back to to Memphis. Meet ya there?

The city has many a cultural attribute but mostly I like to go there to eat. A few years back I had some nonrev tickets on NW that were expiring and had to be used with little notice so Kurt and I flew to MEM - just for the day - long enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was the ultimate jet setter indulgence. :)

silver cloud
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
When we were in Alabama this spring there was this little rib joint down the street with picnic tables outside as the only seating. It was the best ribs and brisket I've ever had!! Yum. I'm so hungry right now!