PDA

View Full Version : Seaworld in Orlando - changes not for the better

tdew
05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
We visited Seaworld in Orlando yesterday and were very unhappy about the changes that have taken place in recent years.

The fee to enter for a day (2nd day is allowed) is now $75. You can get it down to $65 if you purchase tickets online - but that's the price for adults and kids.

This is NOT Disney and though it's still a fun experience the price of the tickets is really outrageous. What's worse though is the changes they've made at the dolphin feeding pool. Two thirds of the area around the pool is now roped off and is restricted to only those who will pay $7 per person for a tray of four fish. There are no spectators permitted. Now, I have no interest in actually feeding the dolphins, but I do want to see my family do so, but that's not allowed.

Whole groups of school kids were restricted to the small area where you can pet the dolphins - IF they're not down where the food is...

Food prices, photographs, souvinirs, everything is overpriced. We will not be going back for a long time, if ever and it was always one of the staples for our family when visiting Orlando.

To make things even worse:
My sons were not happy that there's no more free beer either...

Ned
05-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Free beer aside, those changes are indeed distressing. Thanks for the update.

We visited Seaworld in Orlando yesterday and were very unhappy about the changes that have taken place in recent years.

The fee to enter for a day (2nd day is allowed) is now $75. You can get it down to $65 if you purchase tickets online - but that's the price for adults and kids.

This is NOT Disney and though it's still a fun experience the price of the tickets is really outrageous. What's worse though is the changes they've made at the dolphin feeding pool. Two thirds of the area around the pool is now roped off and is restricted to only those who will pay $7 per person for a tray of four fish. There are no spectators permitted. Now, I have no interest in actually feeding the dolphins, but I do want to see my family do so, but that's not allowed.

Whole groups of school kids were restricted to the small area where you can pet the dolphins - IF they're not down where the food is...

Food prices, photographs, souvinirs, everything is overpriced. We will not be going back for a long time, if ever and it was always one of the staples for our family when visiting Orlando.

To make things even worse:
My sons were not happy that there's no more free beer either...

Loonbeam
05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Next to Discovery Cove, SeaWorld is the most expensive park to operate in that particular system, so I understand the price rise on admission. They don't have the luxury of Disney's hotel and restaurant system to provide flexibility and revenue.

Not allowing spectators for the Dolphin Feeding tho? I can't see that as being good or popular.

Annette
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Let me guess, do they have their own professional photographer there to take pictures of people feeding the dolphins? If so that's probably why no spectators are allowed, they don't want you taking your own pictures.

Ned
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
That wouldn't stop me. I'd just pull out my Bigma. It's a 500mm lens. That sucker brings an ant at 500 yards up close.

Let me guess, do they have their own professional photographer there to take pictures of people feeding the dolphins? If so that's probably why no spectators are allowed, they don't want you taking your own pictures.