PDA

View Full Version : Harry Kalas Eulogy - Deserving of its Own Thread

Kairho
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Wonderful eulogy for Harry Kalas by Doug Glanville in the NYTimes today. A major league article about a major league person, written in major league style by an ex-major leaguer. What more could one wish for on a beautiful, sunny April afternoon?

A Devastating Quiet (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/opinion/15glanville-harrykalas.html?_r=1&emc=eta1)

...To know Harry was to know baseball in all its wonder, grace and frailty. ...he always had a story to tell to make sure you didn’t forget what a gift it is to live around the game of baseball. When I hit my only career inside-the-park home run, I knew as I rounded those bases that the moment was being immortalized by Harry’s description — even if I couldn’t hear it live. ...

...A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a word from Harry Kalas painted a thousand pictures.

jsamm7769
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank you for posting that. That was AWESOME!!!

I'm really bummed I can't make it to the park on Saturday for his memorial. It's opening day for my daughter's softball team.

I dread watching tonights game. It'll be the first one I get to see since he passed. Definatley won't be the same.

Ned
04-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for posting that K. I might has missed it.

I'm not surprised by the quality of Doug's piece. He was an outstanding student at the University of Pennsylvania, where he is now a trustee of the School of Engineering.

Wonderful eulogy for Harry Kalas by Doug Glanville in the NYTimes today. A major league article about a major league person, written in major league style by an ex-major leaguer. What more could one wish for on a beautiful, sunny April afternoon?

A Devastating Quiet (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/opinion/15glanville-harrykalas.html?_r=1&emc=eta1)

Kairho
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not surprised by the quality of Doug's piece. He was an outstanding student at the University of Pennsylvania, where he is now a trustee of the School of Engineering.I did not know that ... I should read the alumni rag more often!

Ned
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I cheated. I seem him over there periodically. My dad continues to be a leader in the Penn Alumni, and I'm involved at Penn as well. The major service award given out at graduation by the University, to undergraduates, was named by Penn in honor of my brother, who died many years ago.

I did not know that ... I should read the alumni rag more often!