PDA

View Full Version : America West Bumping

missalf
09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi, All
I am flying Am West out from BWI on Monday Morning to Phoenix and back again on Friday -- both flights are oversold (confirmed through the airline and did the try to book a ticket and select your seat thing, none available).

I've never flown America West before, but plan to volunteer to be bumped on both flights if A) I get a first class guaranteed ticket on the next flight out, B ) a voucher for at least $400.00, and C) if the next flight is for more than two hours a meal voucher and free admittance to their club lounge.

Does this sound fair, or should I try for something different? Also, are they codesharing with US AIR at this point so that I can check their schedule in terms of alternate flight availability? Any other airlines they might book me on for alternative transportation (I like knowing my options).

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

mishka422
09-25-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't think HP is going to be very receptive to those amounts. I could conceivably see them offering the first class on the next flight (assuming it's available) but not $400 compensation. The compensation amount is based on how long you are delayed. Their next flight, technically speaking, is only 1 hour later via Las Vegas. If they put you on the connecting flight they most likely would only offer about $100-$150. If they opt to put you on the next non-stop then that is 3 hours later and your coming closer to about $300. I've never seen an airline give admittance to their club lounge unless the passenger is a major FF for them and doesn't already have a membership (trying to show them how wonderful the lounge is so they'll get one!).

Gigs
09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Personally, I think it doesn't hurt to ask. If they get no-takers the first time around, you can offer them a deal and they may take it. I got a $350 voucher and first class once simply by asking for it.

missalf
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Okay, in terms of closure, I didn't even get a chance to parlay for a bump reimbursement -- a large group cancelled their flights so they had enough seating for all of us, plus some standby passengers.

However, one gate over they were offering comps for bumps (BWI to Chicago I think was the route) and the very annoyed gentleman next to me said he'd offered to be on their list and his comp was currently up to a first class bump on the next flight in an hour and a half, and a $300.00 voucher -- sounds pretty good to me.

Why, you ask, was he grumpy? Because a family had offered to be bumped before he had a chance and they were also selected -- the husband, wife and two small children, and he was pissed because he didn't want to share his FC experience with kids!

So, maybe I'll get another chance to try my strategy soon. I'll let you know. Thanks to those of you who messaged me with tips!

Woodsey Not Owl
10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
BS a large group canceled! Ha!

I bet the flight was oversold, but by people that only fly one way and buy roundtrip as it is cheaper, then they no show the return. Any group would show up, or they would be paying fees.

Airline can only pre-reserve 2 thirds of the plane in advance - so it may look full, but not be.

David