PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Mac N Cheese

jfrenaye
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Anyone got a good recipe? I had an old neighbor that used to make a great one. It was not all runny and was penne pasta baked and the cheese was closer to white than to cheddar yellow!

Anyone got a good recipe?

Kairho
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:5wONBlCJp0qcxM:http://weepingcherries.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/kraft.jpg ...and medicate it heavily.

anniep
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a really yummy one that I just made this weekend for a friend who had an operation and needed some comfort food. BUT it's very unhealthy -- lots of cream and butter and cheese, and something like 50 grams of fat per serving!!

If you still want it I'm happy to post it for you :)

jfrenaye
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Bring it on!

deangreenhoe
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I've always loved my mom's mac and cheese and I make it the same way.

Macaroni cooked to al dente, throw it in a greased (Pam) baking dish with lots of big chunks of whatever cheese you like (I'm a sharp cheddar dude), grate in a bit of the same cheese for more even melting, chunks of butter, salt and pepper to taste, float it to the top of the pasta with whole milk and bake at 350 until it bubbles and browns on the top. (Usually 45 minutes plus.)

I know there are all kinds of recipes out there with cheese sauces and multiple exotic cheeses, but the gooey, basic standard recipe is my favorite. I serve it with more melted butter, salt and pepper on top.

It's not part of the authentic recipe but I like adding chopped onions and diced jalapeņos.

P.S. Eat it too often and the last line of the recipe involves an ambulance to the closest cardiac unit.

anniep
02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Here you go....

I can tell you I double this recipe, to use an entire box of pasta, and it makes a nice big casserole. Does require a lot of stirring for the cheese sauce, but it's worth it :)

jfrenaye
02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks Deano and Annie

Carchar
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I just gained 2 pounds looking at the recipes, but I filed them for future reference anyway!

deangreenhoe
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I just gained 2 pounds looking at the recipes, but I filed them for future reference anyway!

I know what you mean. Just participating in this naughty exercise has me jonesing for homemade mac and cheese so I'll probably throw some in the oven for supper. The weather is miserable today so the desire for comfort food is pretty strong right now.

What I'll probably do is toss in some smoked sausages, tuck them just below the surface while it bubbles and bakes. That's another thing my mom and grandma did for the sake of efficiency, but it also adds a rich flavor to the main event.

If I'm having bypass surgery before the week is out, it's John Frenaye's fault! :rolleyes:

maryb
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
[quote=deangreenhoe;160047]I've always loved my mom's mac and cheese and I make it the same way.

My mom's is much the same - 'cept she layers the mac, cheese (lots of it) and slabs of butter in a buttered casserole dish and always grates just a touch of onion in. Tops it with more cheese, grated or sliced, and bakes until brown and bubbly. I admit I ask her to make it for me relatively often and take home the rest because, hard as I try, mine is just not the same. Occassionally she will make one using a cheese sauce but EVERYONE protests!
Ummm, I'm hungry.
mbs

deangreenhoe
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Mary, we don't really layer, just stir in the chunks. I guess I forgot to say "stir." :)

I think with mac and cheese you are either for creamy or a gobber. I guess we're gobbers with the cheese and macaroni not overly melded. I have to admit that I'm so far on the gobber side that creamy mac and cheese, like the Kraft product, kind of gags me with the texture.

Linder
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm probably going to be bashed for this unhealthy version, but I love my Mom's mac and cheese, and make it myself.....

2 tbs melted butter (or it may be 3 tbs of each)
2 tbs flour stired into the butter
2 cups milk slowly stirred into the flour and butter, over med heat
8 oz velveta, sliced. This will melt into the milk....

Toss over cooked mac (I don't really measure, but it's probably about 2 cups). Pour in baking dish, and the best part.....crumble Cheeze Itz over the top!!!!!!!!!!! Bake for a bit and chow down...

wrp96
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
And suddenly I am hungry for mac and cheese myself - and I don't eat the stuff as I am lactose intolerant.

maryb
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Mary, we don't really layer, just stir in the chunks. I guess I forgot to say "stir." :)

the Kraft product, kind of gags me with the texture.

What mom ends up with is a creamy/gobber mac and cheese! As far as boxed - I've even tried the more expensive ones with real cheese and find them a pure waste of money.....the fake cheese powder disgusts me.
A few years ago my young niece was visiting and when I asked what she would like to eat she replied "Mac and Cheese". So, I get out the pasta, cheese, butter, etc, put the water on to boil all the while she is watching. After mac is cooked and I begin to assemble it she said "that's not how you make mac and cheese! You are supposed to open a blue box and cook it". We still have chuckles about it.