PDA

View Full Version : Mr. (Tainted) Peanut Pleads the Fifth

Carchar
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
In another time, Stew Parnell, the man whose peanut butter killed eight people and sickened 550 more, would have been put in the stocks or the pillory. Congress didn't have such tools at its disposal yesterday, so lawmakers did the modern equivalent: They put him through the walk of shame.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/11/AR2009021104224.html

He should be stewed Parnell. This really gets my dander up! :mad:

Kairho
02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
"In another time..." ? Imagine if this were in Japan ... or China!

Loonbeam
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
While I am generally not a fan of most lawsuits, in this case, IF indeed his statements as attributed are true, and any deaths can be directly linked to the product, then I would support wrongful death actions here, as well as charges of negligent homicide.

Ned
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I am surprised that the Washington Post didn't put the word allegedly infront of the accusation since he's not been convicted of anything to date.

Sounds like a good time to bring back stocks and pillories. They were only abolished in PA sometime in the '50s. I think it's time to bring them back.

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q-photo-pillory-stocks.jpg

InfrequentFlyer
02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm very happy that no Senator offered that Sick Peanut Hustler immunity to testif; it would be vile if he was relieved of his criminal responsibilities. This appearance will seem like the learner's-with-training-wheels-version of being on trial, even for the civil suits.

wrp96
02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
"In another time..." ? Imagine if this were in Japan ... or China!

In China, most likely he'd already be dead.

mtp51
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
he's a worthless scumbag

bodega
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Didn't you love the Senator asking him if he would eat from that bucket/jar of peanut product? With those emails, I bet those family members whose loved ones died from this just want to the lynch that SOB!

deangreenhoe
02-13-2009, 07:44 PM
It's been reported tonight that the company has filed bankruptcy and both plants are being shut down. What a shame. :rolleyes:

Ned
02-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Not Chapter 11 Reorganization either. They've filed for Chapter 7 liquidation. They're going out of business forever.

It's been reported tonight that the company has filed bankruptcy and both plants are being shut down. What a shame. :rolleyes:

Gesualdo
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
That's pretty crummy. That town where the Texas plant is isn't very big. Lots of people lost their jobs because of that scumbag. The economy in the area is thankfully not in bad shape, but I don't think the Wal-Mart distribution center there can take on all those people. They're going to end up having to move away and the town is going to end up with their own economic troubles.

deangreenhoe
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Not Chapter 11 Reorganization either. They've filed for Chapter 7 liquidation. They're going out of business forever.

That should make all of the loved ones of those who died because of corporate criminal malfeasance feel much better.

Did you read the description of the conditions at the unlicensed Texas plant that was never inspected? I think that the CEO of the Peanut Corporation should be forced to gorge on his own tainted product until he sh*ts himself to death.

But that's just meek, mild mannered me. :)

Ned
02-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes I read about the dead rodents, rodent excrement and bird feathers in the plant.

You know, with due deference to everyone's opinion, including my own (The guy is a scumbag!!!) he couldn't have done this alone. The head of the company couldn't have created such incredibly unsanitary conditions at two plants without a lot of management and worker assistance.

In this case, unless I'm shown I'm all wet, I have little sympathy for anyone who worked in this company, especially if they're in top management or in the plants themselves.

tdew
02-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Besides that, is there any chance that anyone would buy from them again if they hadn't gone out of business?

Kairho
02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Chapter 7 is too good for them.

"It is unacceptable for corporations to put consumers' health at risk and then simply declare bankruptcy and go out of business when they get caught," said Jean Halloran, director of food policy initiatives at Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports.

"PCA's declaration of bankruptcy will, among other things, shield it from liability suits filed by consumers who became sick or whose loved ones died as a result of eating PCA's peanut products," she said.

Ned
02-14-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree.

Unfortunately, considering the financial condition of the company, it's highly unlikely those who got sick could have gotten anything from the assets of the company, even if it didn't go Chapter 7. Their only hope for some compensation for illness and wrongful death is the company's liability insurance, and there won't be nearly enough.

I suspect there will be some criminal charges brought against the company, management, a probably some workers. Someone should be going to jail over this, considering the unsanitary conditions that were allowed to persist.

Chapter 7 is too good for them.

Gesualdo
02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes I read about the dead rodents, rodent excrement and bird feathers in the plant.

You know, with due deference to everyone's opinion, including my own (The guy is a scumbag!!!) he couldn't have done this alone. The head of the company couldn't have created such incredibly unsanitary conditions at two plants without a lot of management and worker assistance.

In this case, unless I'm shown I'm all wet, I have little sympathy for anyone who worked in this company, especially if they're in top management or in the plants themselves.

There's almost no such thing as a union around here. You set off on a maverick and you're likely to find yourself out of a job. And in that town, that's serious. Another one isn't just around the corner. Everybody knows everybody. If you got fired for cause (whether it was for doing the right thing or not), you're not likely to find another job without having to move.

Plant management, on the other hand, should be pilloried right out there with the top guy. They could easily have made sure things didn't get that way in the first place.