PDA

View Full Version : Worm Infects Millions of Computers Worldwide

Carchar
01-24-2009, 09:28 AM
A new digital plague has hit the Internet, infecting millions of personal and business computers in what seems to be the first step of a multistage attack. The world’s leading computer security experts do not yet know who programmed the infection, or what the next stage will be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/technology/internet/23worm.html?scp=1&sq=The%20New%20Worm&st=cse

tdew
01-24-2009, 10:23 AM
The article makes it sound as if you're okay as long as you've installed all the updates from Microsoft - right?

It would have been nice if they were a bit more clear on what individuals should or shouldn't do.

Loonbeam
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
The amount of data given out by necessity has to be limited to avoid communicating some details of the attack, I suppose.

That said, installing the latest patch will help protect you from infection. If you are already infected, it's up to your AV software to detect and remove....

Ned
01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
This worm has been affecting Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. Note that it doesn't affect earlier versions of Windows.

If you've updated your Windows Operating System using Windows or Microsoft update and installed all critical updates, your computer is most likely immune if you don't already have it in your system.

All the major antivirus programs are able to detect the worm and remove at this point.

You need to make sure you've installed the proper MS updates and that your antivirus program and definitions are updated as well.

jfrenaye
01-24-2009, 11:08 AM
NEd--on a similar topic, my NAV is expiring do you still recommend removing the program and then installing the new version as opposed to just updating? I know you don't like NAV but I do and I am familiar wiht it and it has not caused me too many issues.

tdew
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
If you've updated your Windows Operating System using Windows or Microsoft update and installed all critical updates, your computer is most likely immune if you don't already have it in your system.

All the major antivirus programs are able to detect the worm and remove at this point.

You need to make sure you've installed the proper MS updates and that your antivirus program and definitions are updated as well.

Thanks Ned,
That's what I thought, but it should have been stated that way, clearly in the article, instead of just the whole scary warning.

Ned
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
John, which NAV do you have at this point and what year is it?

NEd--on a similar topic, my NAV is expiring do you still recommend removing the program and then installing the new version as opposed to just updating? I know you don't like NAV but I do and I am familiar wiht it and it has not caused me too many issues.

jfrenaye
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Norton Antivirus 2006

I seem to recall you liking AVG? Might be willing to switch...

Ned
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
John, for Home and Home Office computers I recommend Eset (http://www.eset.com/) antivirus products at this time.

For offices I currently recommend Symantec Endpoint antivirus.

I have had too many problems with Norton since their 2007 antivirus products to recommend them. It's amazing to me that Symantec can get their corporate/business line right, but their home/home office line is beset with problems.

Up until this year, I recommended merely upgrading Norton Antivirus 2006 if it was working well, was stable, and not slowing down the computer. Now in 2009 it is finally time to replace it.

Norton Antivirus 2006

I seem to recall you liking AVG? Might be willing to switch...

AaronK
01-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I second Ned's opinion on NOD32. Thats all I have used for the past few years. In fact, a friend of mine likes them so much he is a reseller.

mtp51
01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
i upgraded to NAV 2008 in Oct. I really like it.

stephen_s
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I use Sunbelt's Software Vipre. Great program. I've been their beta tester since CounterSpy and they've listened to the beta tester's feedbacks and made changes and bug fixes as necessary.

Vipre is a combo antivirus/antispyware program.

mercwyn
01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
John, for Home and Home Office computers I recommend Eset (http://www.eset.com/) antivirus products at this time.

For offices I currently recommend Symantec Endpoint antivirus.

I have had too many problems with Norton since their 2007 antivirus products to recommend them. It's amazing to me that Symantec can get their corporate/business line right, but their home/home office line is beset with problems.

The problem with Symantec is that they operate in a piecemeal fashion and most of their products were developed by companies that were acquired for their products. That means that the different product lines were actually developed by different companies and without regard to the rest of Symantec.

I had real hope for them making some changes in how they ran things until Greg Butterfield opted to retire instead of becoming the COO. His division was profitable, ahead of the curve on projects and was very innovative. I'm afraid that John Thomas, the CEO is not really into thinking outside of the box and is more concerned with his perks than really turning the company around.

Ned
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
As a postscript to this thread, I'd thought I'd mention that the February issue of PC Magazine was release about an hour ago. In it they have a "Security Suite Smackdown." Norton Internet Security 2009 won the smackdown, hands down. We're testing it in a couple of computers and will report back in a few weeks. I have great concerns about its stability on XP and Vista based on the 2007 and 2008 versions.

Loonbeam
02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
My newest machine came with NIS 09. It lasted 20 mins. The machine is a quad core, and it was crawling (comparatively). Replaced it with McAfee and we are flying.

Ned
02-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Is this a Vista machine? I've never seen McAfee fly on an XP machine.

My newest machine came with NIS 09. It lasted 20 mins. The machine is a quad core, and it was crawling (comparatively). Replaced it with McAfee and we are flying.

RGoltsch
02-01-2009, 09:48 AM
As a postscript to this thread, I'd thought I'd mention that the February issue of PC Magazine was release about an hour ago. In it they have a "Security Suite Smackdown." Norton Internet Security 2009 won the smackdown, hands down. We're testing it in a couple of computers and will report back in a few weeks. I have great concerns about its stability on XP and Vista based on the 2007 and 2008 versions.

I have to agree with you on this Ned, although I would go further back than 2007 for poor products from Norton. I have many computers dropped on my front porch over the last few years that are either running slow, or cannot connect to the Internet at all. More times than not, I find a Norton product has shown its colors.

NIS and Norton 360 have good intentions, but somehow the implementation gets screwed up. Norton has been burned over the years by virus writers that learned to turn off Norton services, so Norton has, in turn, made it difficult for these services to be adjusted, even for the owner sitting at the keyboard.

I have spent many hours on the phone with friends trying to get them back online after a Norton update. I have gotten to the point that I now ask if they have Norton Firewall, Norton Internet Security or Norton AV on their machine. If the answer is yes to any of the items, I ask that my friend uninstall the programs and then call me back if they cannot still connect to the Internet.

It is harsh, but it seems that Norton is living off the reputation of its name, rather than its recent products. I have beta tested many products over the years. At the end of the beta cycle, normally the tester is given a free copy of the product that was tested. Let's just say that I have many unused copies of security software......

Norton used to be a name you could trust. The original Norton Utilities was a geek's best friend. The original Norton AntiVirus was the premier AV on the market. But over time, as with any computer product, it has gotten bigger, slower and more bloated.

I'll end with a joke I use when people tell me they installed a Norton security product and now they cannot access the Internet........Since they cannot access the Internet, their machine is absolutely locked out from any outside corruption, it'll never get infected. They cannot do anything with their machine, but it won't be infected by a virus, trojan or worm.:)

AaronK
02-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Agreed Ron. There was a time where I would happily run Norton. Then, Symantec bought them and killed the product.

Nowadays, I use NOD32 by ESET. Its low key, and tend to has a better catch rate.