PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article: McCain & Obama's stance on tourism-related issues

bravestar
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
A very interesting read on how McCain and Obama view tourism-related issues, including a national tourism campaign, labor issues, tourism industry wages, and more!

Check the article out here at the Orlando (FL) Sentinel website: Click! (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-preztourism2808oct29,0,1980072.story)

Ned
10-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Steve, you're right. This is a most interesting article.

I have been for the Travel Promotion Act in the U.S. Senate. I think it will dramatically help the industry raising revenue for the country and increased income taxes which will more than offset the expense of the Act. I think Senator McCain's position is incorrect.

I am against the Employee Free Choice Act. I consider it the Union Organizing Intimidation Act. I support secret ballot elections for employees of companies to decide on to whether or not they unionize. I believe that secret ballots have the ability to be employer/union neutral far more than openly signed pledge cards. I think Senator Obama's support, while expected is misplaced and incorrect.

I support raising the minimum wage. It is too low at this time. On a couple of occasions I thought Senator McCain's refusal to support the bill was correct, due to the number of unrelated spending programs attached to the bills. The last bill however, seemed satisfactory to me. I think the minimum wage shouldn't be attached to inflation, as does Senator McCain because inflation in different industries and geographic areas is very different. In fact, I would like to see states get more involved in raising minimum wages as then the wage rates could be better reflective of the cost of living in each state, which vary widely.

I have concerns that neither Senator has any plan to modernize the country's outdated and delay-plagued air-traffic control system. This system needs modernization immediately, and the candidates need to figure out how to do it quickly and pay for it.

A very interesting read on how McCain and Obama view tourism-related issues, including a national tourism campaign, labor issues, tourism industry wages, and more!

Check the article out here at the Orlando (FL) Sentinel website: Click! (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-preztourism2808oct29,0,1980072.story)

mercwyn
10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the air traffic system will be updated and it will be paid for by the people flying using some sort of "fee". That seems to be the favorite way to pay for such things.

greenearth
10-29-2008, 08:20 PM
McCain, however, declined to co-sponsor the plan, despite personal pleas from travel executives. "I, frankly, think that we have ways of promoting the greatness and beauty of the United States without as much federal government as maybe you would like to see," the Arizona senator told a meeting of Central Florida business leaders earlier this year.
Correct me if I am wrong-but doesn't this sound like more deregulation?
Like maybe the airlines do not want to government to get involved?

Ned
10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
GE, can you talk about what you mean. I don't understand your comment.

Correct me if I am wrong-but doesn't this sound like more deregulation?
Like maybe the airlines do not want to government to get involved?

greenearth
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
GE, can you talk about what you mean. I don't understand your comment.
Let me correct myself. It looks as though the airline execs wanted him to sponsor the plan, but McCain did not?

Ned
10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Definitely. Essentially the whole travel industry wanted him as a co-sponsor. It probably would have ensured its passage.

Let me correct myself. It looks as though the airline execs wanted him to sponsor the plan, but McCain did not?