PDA

View Full Version : Suspected pipe bomb found at MacArthur Airport

tdew
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
When I heard this on the radio, they were saying that they'd found fireworks in the carry-on bag and at the same time, a checked bag had been found to have fireworks in it.
This report sounds more serious...

A would-be passenger is in police custody Thursday morning after federal security agents at Long Island MacArthur Airport discovered a suspected "improvised explosive device" -- or pipe bomb -- in a carry-on bag, officials said.

Transportation Security Administration agents then "pulled the individual's checked bags" and found "M-80 fireworks and ammunition," TSA spokeswoman Lara Uselding told Newsday.

A device that had "wires and possibly looked like a pipe bomb" was found at 7:28 a.m. in a carry-on bag while being X-rayed by TSA agents, Uselding said. An airport source said a knife also was found.

Law enforcement sources said the specific type of device -- an incendiary that could be a smoke bomb or pipe bomb -- will not be known until it can be defused and examinedA would-be passenger is in police custody Thursday morning after federal security agents at Long Island MacArthur Airport discovered a suspected "improvised explosive device" -- or pipe bomb -- in a carry-on bag, officials said.

Transportation Security Administration agents then "pulled the individual's checked bags" and found "M-80 fireworks and ammunition," TSA spokeswoman Lara Uselding told Newsday.

A device that had "wires and possibly looked like a pipe bomb" was found at 7:28 a.m. in a carry-on bag while being X-rayed by TSA agents, Uselding said. An airport source said a knife also was found.

Law enforcement sources said the specific type of device -- an incendiary that could be a smoke bomb or pipe bomb -- will not be known until it can be defused and examined

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-limac1017,0,2133959.story

wrp96
10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Is MacArthur the airport Southwest refers to as Islip?

tdew
10-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, it is. Long Island MacArthur Airport is the official name, but it's located in Islip.

If it wasn't such a trip to get there from here, I'd be happy to use it more often. It's compact and easy to get around.

wrp96
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks I thought it was but wanted to make sure I was getting my places correct.

AaronK
10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to fly out of there when I lived on Long Island prior to 9/11. They had a direct ISP to PVD flight that I would take when going home for a visit.

Unfortunately, after 9/11 with the increased security requirements of when to be at the airport, etc, it made more sense to just drive.