PDA

View Full Version : All's Fair in War and Campaigning

Carchar
10-14-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/opinion/12rich.html?ei=5070

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/us/politics/13martin.html?ei=5070

DCTravelAgent
10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for posting those - I saw the Andy Martin piece yesterday and in fact meant to post it here but didn't get around to it. This other one is quite powerful as well....

Now to be just as cynical as Sarah Palin is (and I apologize in advance) - well, perhaps Obama is paling around with a former terrorist (as the Gov. so often says) but the Gov. her self is sleeping with a former seccessionist! Now who is more likely to have the dirt rub off on him/her? (Of course one would have to accept guilt by association to blame either of them for the actions of these "associates".)

mercwyn
10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I have to ask the question that keeps popping up into my brain whenever I hear that Senator Obama is a Muslim and that is, if he were and had been open about it, so what? I don't think someone's religion should qualify or disqualify them for public office. Are we suggesting that America is still a country that cannot accept people of all faiths and colors? I find it disheartening that Americans are not color blind and blind to faith when it comes to electing our leaders. We should be voting for the best person based on their positions, ideals and ideas and not on their skin color or their religious faith.

DCTravelAgent
10-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Exactly Merc....instead of saying "....he's a fine American, a family man..." McCain prefaced that with "no" - as in "he's not a Msulim". It was just as wrong.

And that woman at that rally who said "...he's an Arab...." ? Just replace Arab with "Jew", Mexican", "Asian", etc.... She had no reason to not "trust" other than Xenophobia.

Kairho
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
There are simply too many people who will discount anyone who is not American, white, christian and, preferably, male. Ridiculous.

Carchar
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I watched the campaign stops of both candidates on C-SPAN last night. McCain's crowd in VA sounded like they were being teleprompted on booing loudly when McCain mentioned Obama, cheering vociferously when he talked about what kind of great traits he (McCain) had, and chanting NObama, NObama periodically.

When Obama talked to a crowd in OH, there was mostly applause. When a few people in the crowd booed at the mention of McCain, Obama held up his hand immediately and said, "We don't need that." And it stopped.

I couldn't help thinking how seriously "presidential" Obama sounded.

CruiseExpert
10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Democracy is a messy business.

Ned
10-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately K., you are exactly correct. There is still far too much bigotry in this country, and it is most assuredly ridiculous.

There are simply too many people who will discount anyone who is not American, white, christian and, preferably, male. Ridiculous.

greenearth
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately K., you are exactly correct. There is still far too much bigotry in this country, and it is most assuredly ridiculous.

Today on the radio I heard an ad about Ayers. I thought oh crud here we go again with the swift boater crap.
Listen if they are going to bring that crap up then they better get ready for some of their own.
We keep forgetting the Keating 5.....
Hey I must like that word crap

deangreenhoe
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey I must like that word crap

I'll just be glad when this crap is over and we can get busy cleaning up the crappy mess that's been dumped on us by the previous crap administration.

Crap. ;)

greenearth
10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
There I feel better now :D

Ned
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I've gotten to the point, or rather by Labor Day I reached the point, where I now don't look at live TV, unless it's a cable movie station, or live sports. Instead I have my DVR record my favorite shows, and then either look at them starting at about 30 minutes after the show starts, or at some point later, that day or another day, so I can fast forward through all the trash political and other advertisements.

There is no way a 30-60 second political advertisement is going to influence me to vote one way or the other anyway, so why watch them. They are amazingly boring.

If I hear of a good one, or an outrageous one, they're all available on the Internet anyway, so I can watch them once, that way to get a sense of what the talk is about.

Tonight, I'm watching the Phils on my computer while the debate on the TV. I suspect that by half way, I'll grow so tired of the same thing as before that I'll change the channel on the TV to watch the Phils on the larger screen.

I've already decided for whom and for what I'm voting. I won't be changing my mind, so for me, the ads are pointless anyway. I've had more than enough time to figure this out.

For President of the US: Obama (D)
For PA Attorney General: John Morganelli (D)
For PA Auditor General: Chet Beiler (R)
For PA Treasurer: Rob McCord (D)
For US House of Representatives: Adam Lang (R)
There are no local offices up for election:

Ballot questions:
PA loan for utilities, localities and roads: YES
Merging the Fairmount Park Commission and the Department of Recreation of Philadelphia: NO
Giving Philadelphia Residents the a civil service job in the Philadelphia Government over a non-resident who has the same score in the civil service test solely based on residency: NO
PHL loan for streets, bridges, transit improvements, parks improvements: YES

Ned
10-20-2008, 09:08 PM
A certain amount of negative campaign advertising is to be expected, but I think that the Elephants have gone way past any kind of reasonableness now.

Consider the following:

A California GOP women's group sent out a newsletter saying that if Barack Obama is elected, his image would appear on food stamps, not dollar bills like other presidents (with an illustration following the statement of an "Obama Bucks" bill featuring Obama's image surrounded by a bucket of fried chicken, watermelon, ribs and Kool-aid). It may seem funny at first, the chicken and watermelon, but it's highly racist and inflammatory. I'd call it outrageous.
Or how about Sarah Palin referring to her ticket's supporters as "pro-American" as if anyone not supporting McCain/Palin was not.
Or how about that scintillating bastion of "truth, justice and the American way," Rush Limbaugh, (the king of sleaze, the all time flip-flopper, the world's number one egotist, who essentially called Colin Powell, a true American hero, a "traitor" this morning. (Of course in February, Limbaugh had this to say about his candidate, John McCain, "He's just playing the American card or the patriot card, the prisoner of war story or whatever, and that happens to appeal to some people... Senator McCain successfully targeted the weak, the mushy, the squishy, the Jell-Os, some of the left, the Drive-By Media...Here's the dirty little secret. The maverick is not a maverick... Maverick my rear end.")
Then there is Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) who's followed up Palin's statement by calling for the mainstream media to do an exposť on which Congressmen and Senators are not sufficiently "pro-American." Presumably the exposed legislators would only be those awful, liberal, "left" Democrats. It sure sounds like Joe McCarthy to me.