PDA

View Full Version : VP Debate has tight format so Palin can use canned answers - UGH!

Ned
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
If the McCain camp and the Republicans are that scared that Palin will look bad in a single 90 minute question and answer forum, with some give and take, why should anyone take the Palin nomination for Vice President of the United States, a heartbeat away from the Presidency, seriously?

Furthermore, considering McCain's need to shield Palin from open debate, shouldn't we seriously question the judgment of the Republican nominee for President, if he can't even pick a running mate, competent enough to debate the issues in an open forum?

As reported by the NY Times on September 20th (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=vice%20presidential%20debate&st=cse&oref=slogin).
At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between the Republican nominee for vice president, Gov. Sarah Palin, and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

The wrangling was chiefly between the McCain-Palin camp and the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which is sponsoring the forums.

Commission members wanted a relaxed format that included time for unpredictable questioning and challenges between the two vice-presidential candidates. On Wednesday, the commission unanimously rejected a proposal sought by advisers to Ms. Palin and Senator John McCain of Arizona, the Republican presidential nominee, to have the moderator ask questions and the candidates answer, with no time for unfettered exchanges. Advisers to Mr. Biden say they were comfortable with either format.

Clearly, the VP debate will be in a far more controlled format (http://www.debates.org/pages/news_092108.html) than 2 of the three Presidential debates.

pezmanffx
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I soo agree with you Ned. I work for a female republican who is now voting Obama because of Palin. She feels that McCain lost all credability because of his VP choice.

vacationagent
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
If the McCain camp and the Republicans are that scared that Palin will look bad in a single 90 minute question and answer forum, with some give and take, why should anyone take the Palin nomination for Vice President of the United States, a heartbeat away from the Presidency, seriously?

Furthermore, considering McCain's need to shield Palin from open debate, shouldn't we seriously question the judgment of the Republican nominee for President, if he can't even pick a running mate, competent enough to debate the issues in an open forum?

As reported by the NY Times on September 20th (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=vice%20presidential%20debate&st=cse&oref=slogin).

Clearly, the VP debate will be in a far more controlled format (http://www.debates.org/pages/news_092108.html) than 2 of the three Presidential debates.

Ned -

Did you expect anything else? The woman is the female equivelent of George Bush and one of the least inquisitive people on the planet! She thinks Alaska's proximity to Russia makes her an authority on foreign affairs, for heaven's sake. The Republicans can't turn her loose unscripted - people might catch on that she's an empty suit (or skirt.)

I am astounded that so many people seem to be enamored of her. Astounded. I am not sure McCain could have made a worse choice (from a political standpoint.)

pezmanffx
09-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Well lets face it. He could have picked a worse choice. Marian Berry and Larry Craig are available.

If she ever makes it, watch out for phrases like,

god told me to build a nuclear power plant on statin island

I'm asking congress to pass a bill making birth control illegal.

I've instructed the commander of the Army to invade grand caymen island, which is off the cost of africa, with no less than 120,000 troops.

Loonbeam
09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
As I have said in the other thread, the McCain campaign is suggesting that in light of the current crisis, the Presidential debate should be rescheduled to replace the VP debate, which would be canceled...

(boggle)

Ned
09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Ned -

Did you expect anything else? The woman is the female equivelent of George Bush and one of the least inquisitive people on the planet! She thinks Alaska's proximity to Russia makes her an authority on foreign affairs, for heaven's sake. The Republicans can't turn her loose unscripted - people might catch on that she's an empty suit (or skirt.)

I am astounded that so many people seem to be enamored of her. Astounded. I am not sure McCain could have made a worse choice (from a political standpoint.)

I am also astounded that so many people think she'd make a great VP or Pres.

I have to disagree with you about one thing. She is not the female equivalent of W. She makes W look like a flaming liberal.:cool:

Kairho
09-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I am also astounded that so many people think she'd make a great VP or Pres.
I believe few think that. They've been told that by the McCain campaign; in fact, it's been incessantly pounded into their heads (like the thanks but no thanks line) so that they begin to think it's true.

And yes, the Obama campaign does the same, but a significantly greater portion is grounded in facts and sound lines of thought.

One would think the parrot feed industry would be doing quite well these days.

DCTravelAgent
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Doesn't matter - there won't be a VP debate at all - McCain has made that work very smoothly. If elected, he won't allow Palin to play much of a role in his Adminsitration - makes this all doubly offensive to me as a woman.

Loonbeam
09-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I've said this before. By the nature of our discussions, I know that many of us are thinking, educated people who do their own research.

However, a great majority of people do not do the same. They either get their information from a very narrow band (radio programs like Limbaugh and TV like Fox News on the right, Air America and, um, I guess Olbermann on the left, MSNBC hasn't quite gone that far.).

I strongly suspect that if both sides had some exposure to the other, or even middle ground, opinions might change a little, except for the die hard party identifiers.

bodega
09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I believe few think that. They've been told that by the McCain campaign; in fact, it's been incessantly pounded into their heads (like the thanks but no thanks line) so that they begin to think it's true.

And yes, the Obama campaign does the same, but a significantly greater portion is grounded in facts and sound lines of thought.

One would think the parrot feed industry would be doing quite well these days.
This is what I don't like about the party system. There are many who will vote for their party's candidate regardless.

DCTravelAgent
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Again, I doubt there will be VP debate.

DCTravelAgent
09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Well I take it back - looks like tomorrow's debate will go on as there is a bi-partisan agreement on the bailout.

So now there is no plausible reason to cancel the VP debate by moving tomorrow's debate to that date.

greenearth
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I take it back - looks like tomorrow's debate will go on as there is a bi-partisan agreement on the bailout.

So now there is no plausible reason to cancel the VP debate by moving tomorrow's debate to that date.
I was going to bet you that the VP debate would happen. If I won-you treat to drinks and if I win I donate to the Obama campaign:D