PDA

View Full Version : Oh Canada!

Gigs
09-13-2005, 07:23 AM
With the upcoming hockey season and the fall leaf peepers, some people will transit over the border of "The Great White North" (Thanks Doug Mackenzie). Personally, I ALWAYS drive to Canada with my passport in hand, while my buddies in the backseat just bring their driver's license . We go to Montreal 6 times a year to catch hockey games. We also have been stopped every time we cross! We must get out of the car and they have to verify that we are citizens of the US (and also no criminal record). Luckily, we aren't convicts and were born in the US, so our car has not been inspected.

When we went to the Winter Carnival in Quebec City last year, my fiancee and I were asked our occupation, why we were there and for how long. We cleared the border with no issues.

So, have you ever been stopped? Is it a regular occurrence? Do you think there is a certain amount of profiling happening at the border?

stephen_s
09-13-2005, 07:39 AM
The last time I drove back from Canada with my family (a loooong time ago), they didn't make us get out. They just asked what we were bring into the States and what we intended to do with what we brought. That's it.

silver cloud
09-13-2005, 07:55 AM
We live an hour and a half away from the Soo, Canada.

I've been stopped twice, my car was brought into the garage and thoroughly searched (holy wa!) and so on.

Oh! And all this was way before 9/11 ever happened.

Mar

Originally posted by stephen_s@Sep 13 2005, 07:39 AM
The last time I drove back from Canada with my family (a loooong time ago), they didn't make us get out.* They just asked what we were bring into the States and what we intended to do with what we brought.* That's it.

tdew
09-13-2005, 11:58 AM
In April we visited Niagara Falls and stayed in Canada. We had no problem crossing into Canada, but coming back I had myself and two grandchildren in my car. All three of us had passports. The agent was not happy that I could not produce the letter from my daughter allowing the grand children to travel with me.
He had to ask the 5 year old who I was and where we were going! I DID have the letter - just couldn't remember where I'd put it - and of course, I found it after the fact.

I've found this a couple of times before - European countries don't question your right to bring a grand child INTO another country - it's only when you try to bring them back home again that it becomes an issue.

US agents at the Mexican border wanted a passport for my grandchild a few years ago. I didn't have one - but did have the permission slip for her to travel with me. He was more interested in her citizenship than whether she was allowed to travel.

I guess it depends on who you meet up with and how many encounters they have had that day...

Gigs
09-13-2005, 12:30 PM
So does nayone know the new rule with crossing into Canada? I hear they are tightening things.