PDA

View Full Version : Internet Help Desk

stephen_s
08-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Remember when you had to call your ISP's help desk?

Here's what REALLY goes on over there :p

http://www.flixxy.com/internet-helpdesk.htm

deangreenhoe
08-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Bwahahahaha. I understand his pain.

And I know I've been guilty of being the "12 o'clock flasher" in the past. Many moons ago when I switched from a single PC to a network on a hub at home, I was extremely frustrated because somehow that screwed up my email and I was losing incoming mail right and left. I could even send something to myself and have it not show up in my Outlook Express, and incoming emails would mysteriously disappear from the ISP server but I wouldn't see them show up in Outlook.

My ISP insisted that I was receiving those emails after Outlook polled the server. I was insisting that if I was receiving them, then they were apparently invisible to the naked eye. Around and around we went during something like three phone conversations over the course of a couple days, and just before they were determined to "send somebody out" (my ISP is local) to either solve the problem, or just beat me to death in order to put me out of my misery (LOL), somebody thought to ask, "sir, do you have a second computer on your network that may have Outlook Express running and automatically polling our server on a timer?"

Oopsie. Bwahahaha. I had checked email on my other PC and forgot to close Outlook Express. It was pulling whatever was on the mail server every 5 minutes and hiding them down there. I felt like the biggest loser idiot in the world and to this day wonder when I call with a real problem (that's not of my own design) if the guys at my ISP just roll their eyes and say, "it's him again" and then argue over who's going to handle the call. :rolleyes:

Ned
08-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Dean, I have a customer who did the same thing last week. She never closed her email client on her office computer, which pulls in mail every 15 minutes and deletes it off the server, during a week she was working at home, so she rarely got anything at home and kept complaining from Monday to Wednesday morning when I discovered the problem.

deangreenhoe
08-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Dean, I have a customer who did the same thing last week. She never closed her email client on her office computer, which pulls in mail every 15 minutes and deletes it off the server, during a week she was working at home, so she rarely got anything at home and kept complaining from Monday to Wednesday morning when I discovered the problem.

Well at least I know I'm not the only idiot on the planet who did that. :D

It's just not something that entered my mind when I first started using more than one PC to access my email via Outlook Express. When I was at work, I'd just pull up my personal email via the ISPs website, then download it all into Outlook Express when I got home.

Now I only have one PC (out of 3) on my home network that automatically polls for email via Outlook. It's disabled on the others and if I want to access my mail from elsewhere in the house, I have to manually pull something off the ISP's server.

At least I learned my lesson. I just wish I would have done it more privately. :rolleyes:

tdew
08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Well at least I know I'm not the only idiot on the planet who did that. :D

Nope, I'll admit to that one as well.
I knew I should be getting more mail than I was, but didn't go so far as to follow up on it.
I was shocked when it went to use the other machine and discovered it had been grabbing my incoming mail.

AaronK
08-30-2008, 10:30 AM
That's why I try to use IMAP mail servers when at all possible. Otherwise, I set my mail clients to leave messages on server so this doesn't happen.

Loonbeam
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Heh, I know Wes (the guy in the video) from the con circuit. It still amazes him how long that video has been wandering around and how popular it is.

wrp96
08-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Well it's still so truthful. We have a running joke on the Royal Caribbean boards on Cruise Critic that RCCL needs to hire a 3rd grader to come fix their website, as they've had some big problems with it for at least 2 years.