PDA

View Full Version : The Oregon Trail : Day 1

JBM
08-24-2008, 06:25 AM
My worst fears about this trip have been realized. No, we did not have too much "stuff" and too little van, and we did not have a serious breakdown en route or get lost.

What I have is my wife's cold. It started off as a scratchy, mildly sore throat three or four days ago. I'd hoped to head it off with Cepacol lozenges, and while I'm grateful that it didn't turn into full-blown strep throat, I didn't want it to morph into a full-body illness either.

I think School Marm is getting her revenge for blowing her cover (those of you new to Talking Travelers, see My Canadian Odyssey).

At least I was vindicated for moving up our packing date from Saturday to Friday. We had pretty steady thundershowers Saturday morning, although they cleared up by noon. That still would have caused a lot of lost time, not to mention shot nerves.

Said rain didn't help my mood any, though. I did my best to not be cranky through the day as the overcast skies became clear blue yonder with bright sunshine beating down on the cab. I had a difficult time adjusting the A/C to maintain a comfortable temperature.

My sister-in-law (AKA "Seester") had a pretty good day. Her migraine problem is much more chronic and serious than mine, as she requires a veritable cocktail of drugs just to get by, but she was able to take a spell at the wheel of Household 6's car while my Better Two-Thirds took her turn at the van.

SGM Benny did pretty well yesterday. Our veterinarian prescribed a drug to help him get through the trip. It doesn't knock him out, but rather just relaxes him. It was funny seeing him taking a "grassroom" break on slightly unsteady legs.

Ned will appreciate this lighter moment of the day. At a McDonald's in Russell, Kansas (boyhood home of both Bob Dole and Arlen Spector), I spied a gentleman with the distinctive green-and-white "hoops" shirt with the name "Nakamura" on the back. I just had to go up to him and say, "You know, I never thought I would ever see someone in the middle of Kansas wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt with Shinsuke Nakamura's name on it!" He replied in heavily accented English, "You never know what you will see!" He was a Spanish gentleman on tour with a couple of others. Soccer is truly a worldwide sport.

Day 2 takes us from Colby, KS on a 370-mile leg to Laramie, WY (if we make good time and all are feeling up to it, we may drive on to either Rawlins of Rock Springs). Here's hoping we don't get tied up in pre-Democratic Convention traffic in Denver.

weblet
08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Here's hoping we don't get tied up in pre-Democratic Convention traffic in Denver.
Fat chance? :p

mercwyn
08-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm told that if you avoid the Spaghetti Bowl in Denver and take the toll road north from the airport toward Boulder/Ft. Collins you won't have any traffic problems cause the DNC show.

That stretch from Laramie to Rock Springs can be mighty boring. Take it easy across there, with a couple of breaks to help keep your eyes open. The State Park in Green River can be interesting, if one is into local history. And as you continue westward, there is Ft. Bridger and South Pass with their pioneer history.

I hope everyone gets feeling better soon. That's not a fun drive when you aren't feeling well.

jjjenny
08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I really feel for your wife.

One time when we were moving from Schwaebish-Hall, Germany to Giebelstadt, outside of Wurzburg, I caught the flu. It was horrible!

Take it easy on her and give her breaks whenever you can.

Poor SGM Benny. I hope he takes the move well.

Carchar
08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Just south of Green River is Flaming Gorge. On a similar trip through WY, we found it worth the visit and spectacularly flaming at sunset.