PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tale Has DNA Hook: Students Find Bad Labels

Carchar
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
“If you’re paying for white tuna and you’re eating tilapia, I think you’d want to know that.”

(I hope this "scam" gets the attention it deserves.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html?8au&emc=au

weblet
08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Really interesting, Carrie. I know my husband has come home from the grocery store at times and said he knows the fish he bought was labeled incorrectly. But you would think a sushi restaurant would be a little more on the ball...

mtp51
08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I think buying & ordering fish (off a menu) can be a fishy proposition. You never know what the heck you're getting.

jfrenaye
08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.harvesttableinc.org/logo-no-just-say-no-480.gif

Ned
08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
With respect to New Yorkers (My brother lived there until his death, and I have many family members in the Big Apple, although they still root for the Phils, Eagles, Flyers, and Sixers.) they must have darn poor palates and noses.

Think about it. Luxury quality white tuna has an entirely different taste and texture than Mozambique tilapia when used in Sushi. Roe from flying fish looks like that from smelts, and even tastes similar, but its texture is decidely stiffer and therefore grainier. And my goodness, how could anyone mistake Atlantic Cod for Red Snapper. That's truely ludicrous.

Apparently the young scientists in the story, Kate Stoeckle and Louisa Strauss are really needed up there in the city that never sleeps.

weblet
08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, John. We get the message. You don't like fish.

Gesualdo
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
A lot of folks simply don't have the great taste buds to be able to tell subtle, or even less-than-subtle differences between difference types of fish. Or, if you were new to sushi, I'm sure you'd have absolutely no idea whatsoever if you were being served something cheap and inferior.

I'd probably be able to tell, if were the fish-eating type. But I think I'll take Frenaye's advice and "Just Say No." :cool:

Carchar
08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm sure when I've ordered filet of sole I've sometimes gotten ordinary flounder instead. Unless I have eaten a particular kind of fish many times, I wouldn't know if I've been "had" when ordering a fish for the first time.

tdew
08-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I don't feel as strongly about the fishy issue as John, but am not a big fan of most seafood. Only the white, mild fish are acceptable to me and I surely wouldn't know the difference unless the replacement had a strong flavor.

pezmanffx
08-23-2008, 06:22 AM
While I ocasionaly have a rare piece to prove I'm still a man, lol, I would never know the difference. I once thought I was eating tuna and it turned out to be eel. Now the hubby can tell you the day it was caught and what body of water it came from. The difference is that he was brought up eating fresh fish every day and all I got was canned salmon once a month.

jjjenny
08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
While I ocasionaly have a rare piece to prove I'm still a man, lol, I would never know the difference. I once thought I was eating tuna and it turned out to be eel. Now the hubby can tell you the day it was caught and what body of water it came from. The difference is that he was brought up eating fresh fish every day and all I got was canned salmon once a month.

Was it salmon croquet?

I cannot stand the smell or taste of fish. However, I can eat salmon croquet or tuna mixed with miracle whip, pickles, and onion.

When I was in Japan I did eat sushi and sashimi but for some reason won't touch the stuff here. I never did know what kind of fish I was eating.

pezmanffx
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Croquet? You mean for the canned salmon? If so, my mother made the thing she called "salmonloaf". It's pretty much canned salmon and cubes of wonderbread, some milk, formed into a loaf and baked like a meatloaf.

Its the worst.

Ned
08-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Was it salmon croquet?

Salmon croquets are generally salmon "squares" which are baked or deep fried, and basically made up of mixtures of salmon and bread crumbs, salmon and cracker crumbs, or salmon and mashed potatoes, all with or without chopped onion, and all with various seasonings and a few other ingedients. I concur with Pman that salmon croquets are pretty darn awful. Oh, by the way, salmon is one of my favorite foods in all kinds of recipes including grilled and poached, and definitely smoked, but croquets...ugh.

weblet
08-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Croquet? You mean for the canned salmon? If so, my mother made the thing she called "salmonloaf". It's pretty much canned salmon and cubes of wonderbread, some milk, formed into a loaf and baked like a meatloaf.

Its the worst.
**shiver** I'm certainly glad my mother never found the canned salmon to sub for hamburger in meat loaf. She was the hamburger queen.

Sorry, mom.

jjjenny
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I like salmon croquets. I make them using a can a salmon, onions, crackers and 2 eggs and form into round patties, then fry them up. Of course I smother them in ketchup and usually served corn and black eyed peas with them.

wrp96
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I like salmon croquets. I make them using a can a salmon, onions, crackers and 2 eggs and form into round patties, then fry them up. Of course I smother them in ketchup and usually served corn and black eyed peas with them.

Here we serve them with hot pepper sauce instead of ketchup and we serve them with biscuits and either macaroni and cheese or purple hull peas.

deangreenhoe
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Here we serve them with hot pepper sauce instead of ketchup and we serve them with biscuits and either macaroni and cheese or purple hull peas.

Moving in a northerly direction...

...up here we call them "salmon patties," always with onions and usually eat 'em with mayonaise on top, raw fried taters and green beans on the side.

Carchar
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Was it salmon croquet?

I think of a salmon croquet as an inverted cone-shaped fishcake made with salmon. Just like with crab cakes, different regions and different ethnicities use different recipes. After reading the previous posts, I now want to eat some...

deangreenhoe
08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I think of a salmon croquet as an inverted cone-shaped fishcake made with salmon. Just like with crab cakes, different regions and different ethnicities use different recipes. After reading the previous posts, I now want to eat some...

I haven't had this dish for at least two decades, not since eating it at my parent's dining room table. You know, after reading this I was thinking I should give them a try again myself. ;-)

Of course, I could always rename the menu to jazz it up...

...rose saumon croquette avec gallette pomme de terre et haricot verts.

Bon appetit!

Stina
08-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Its the worst.

That is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of. I'm not sure I want to believe it exists.

Of course I can't even stand real meatloaf.

maryb
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Moving in a northerly direction...

...up here we call them "salmon patties," always with onions and usually eat 'em with mayonaise on top, raw fried taters and green beans on the side.

Here much the same 'cept with hot sauce and fry onion with the taters.
Gee, you have all made me hungry!
mbs