PDA

View Full Version : New Museum in New Orleans

Carchar
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Getting Down With All That Skitters, Buzzes or Crawls

NEW ORLEANS — What is it about these creatures? In the new $25 million Audubon Insectarium, which opened here in June, you can watch Formosan termites eat through a wooden skyline of New Orleans (as if this city didn’t have enough problems), stick your head into a transparent dome in a kitchen closet swarming with giant cockroaches and watch dung beetles plow their way through a mound of waste. And then you can engage in the museum’s most brilliant interactivity by joining in the line of eager visitors prepared to munch on a handful of crunchy Cajun-fried crickets or scoop up some wax-worm stir fry.

(I was considering posting this museum review under Foodies, but... ;))

Can you imagine eating roasted lion at a zoo or filleted dolphin at an aquarium? But here the admired creatures are served in elaborate dips and sautéed dishes. Photographs on the cafeteria wall display delicacies more familiar in non-Western countries: deep-fried giant waterbugs from northern Thailand, water beetles marinated in ginger and soy sauce from the Guangzhou Province in China. But chocolate chirp cookies (with crickets) and dragonflies sautéed with mushrooms can be sampled a few yards away. Even in the regular section of the café, tabletops are transparent display cases: if you shun arthropods for lunch, you can eat more typical animal-based dishes while watching a giant beetle crawl underneath your meal.

I detest creepy crawlies that are in my vicinity, but since these are "housed," I'd love to see this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/02/arts/design/02inse.html?pagewanted=2&sq=

Gesualdo
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh good g-d no! :eek:

mtp51
08-07-2008, 04:33 PM
oooh Carrie! This sounds so fun. I will do this for sure when I go to NO this fall!

Carchar
08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll meet you for dinner, Marge!

NW CTC
08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
I can just see the hottest new restaurant in town - "The Court of the Two Insects"....

mtp51
08-08-2008, 01:25 PM
How about a bugicane at Pat O'cockroach's.

must be friday.....