PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Bundy has breast cancer.

Ned
08-03-2008, 08:43 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/03/applegate.cancer.ap/art.applegate.ap.jpg

Ame Van Iden, publicist for the 36-year-old actress, released the following statement late Saturday:

"Christina Applegate was diagnosed with an early form of breast cancer. Benefiting from early detection through a doctor ordered MRI, the cancer is not life threatening. Christina is following the recommended treatment of her doctors and will have a full recovery."

Applegate earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for her starring role in ABC's comedy "Samantha Who?" She plays the title character.

Applegate is best remembered as the ditzy teenager Kelly Bundy on "Married with Children." The raunchy comedy ran 11 seasons and has been airing in syndication ever since.

She won an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series in 2003 for her portrayal of Amy Green, the younger sister of Jennifer Aniston's character on "Friends." She earned a 2005 Tony Award nomination for her Broadway role in "Sweet Charity."

Hopefully the treatment will work.

wrp96
08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Best wishes on her battle.

bodega
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I wish her a full recovery and a long, long life!

What I would be interested in knowing, is how the lump was found. The article stated that the doctor ordered an MRI. Normally, this is done after a lump has been found by either the doctor during an exam, the woman finds a lump and has her doctor check it out or after a mammogram finds something. Unless she had something of question in the past, where she then goes in for a yearly mammogram, she would be still under the normal age for yearly one. The most recent report to come out on breast exams says that it isn't necessary for women to do a monthly self exam, which I whole heartedly disagree with, having found something on my own, many years back, when I was younger than Christina. Miss Applegate is going to now be a spokesperson for breast cancer, so I hope she provides us with how the lump was found so to help others with early detection.

I would like to add that men also can have breast cancer, so checking your chest for lumps is extremely important and not stressed enough!!

Carchar
08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Unless she had something of question in the past, where she then goes in for a yearly mammogram, she would be still under the normal age for yearly one.

Another reason for under-40 women to have a baseline mammogram is when there is a familial history of breast cancer. Because my husband's mother died in her 30s from the disease, leaving four children aged 9 and under, and because his two sisters are breast cancer survivors (thanks to early detection,) our daughters have all had "early" baseline mammograms. So far, they are "clean." Breast cancer can come down the father's line as well as the mother's.

Treatment is getting more sophisticated and more successful all the time. Ms. Applegate should have a good prognosis.

the dark knight
08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I heard about this late last night. I didn't realize she was so close to me in age. I hope this helps people realize that they should take regular medical exams seriously, regardless of sex or age.
I feel bad for anyone who has to go through this. Hopefully, she and her doctors caught this early and she will be able to vanquish this deadly disease with as little discomfort as possible. I wish her well in her fight.

TRI Diva
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
My sister, age 42, just completed her three treatments, surgery, chemo, and radiation. Her lump was nearly undetectable on a mammogram, so an MRI was ordered to confirm. It was a routine mammogram that was well-read by a radiologist. She was told it could have been easily missed. She is well on her way to recovery, with a 10% chance of recurrence.

I wish Ms. Applegate equally successful treatment and recovery.

jfrenaye
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I heard that due to family history that she had a double mastectomy

Ned
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
So far, from what I can see, only the National Enquirer is reporting that she had a double mastectomy.

Her mother is a double cancer survivor having had breast cancer and cervical cancer. She is reportedly in total remission at this time.

Gesualdo
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM

So far, from what I can see, only the National Enquirer is reporting that she had a double mastectomy.

Her mother is a double cancer survivor having had breast cancer and cervical cancer. She is reportedly in total remission at this time.

Time for Frenaye to start reading something a little more robust, eh? I guess that's where all the Paris news is, though.

jfrenaye
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey--they broke the news about John Edwards dipping the pen into a different ink well now didn't they!

Ned
08-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Sometimes they are actually accurate with real news, breaking stories, however, the jury's still out whether or not this report is one of those which is accurate.

Hey--they broke the news about John Edwards dipping the pen into a different ink well now didn't they!

Gesualdo
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey...back off while I make fun.

Ned
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately, John F's report is now known to be correct. Ms. Applegate did indeed have a double mastectomy. She have breast reconstructive surgery over the next eight months.

NEW YORK (AP) (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/19/people.christina.applegate.ap/index.html) -- Christina Applegate is taking the long view of her battle with breast cancer -- the really long view.
Applegate

Christina Applegate says her doctors "got everything out" during her breast cancer treatment.

Speaking on ABC News' "Good Morning America" in her first interview since announcing her diagnosis earlier this month, the "Samantha Who?" star said she had a double mastectomy three weeks ago. She'll undergo reconstructive surgery over the next eight months.

"I'm going to have cute boobs 'til I'm 90, so there's that," she joked in the interview, which aired Tuesday. "I'll have the best boobs in the nursing home. I'll be the envy of all the ladies around the bridge table."

The 36-year-old actress elected to remove both breasts even though the disease was contained in one breast. She said she is now cancer-free.

Applegate called the operation a logical decision. Her mother battled breast cancer, and she tested positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation linked to breast and ovarian cancer.

"I just wanted to kind of be rid of it," she said. "So this was the choice I made and it was a tough one."

The experience has been an emotional roller coaster, she said.

"Sometimes, you know, I cry and sometimes I scream and I get really angry and I get really like, you know, into wallowing in self-pity sometimes," she said. "And I think that's -- it's all part of healing, and anyone who's going through it out there, it's OK to cry. It's OK to fall on the ground and just scream if you want to."

Gesualdo
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, John F's report is now known to be correct. Ms. Applegate did indeed have a double mastectomy. She have breast reconstructive surgery over the next eight months.

Fortunately for him, unfortunately for her. Although I'd be glad to keep her in the land of the living for a while. I actually watched Samantha Who? last season and thought it was a good show.

Mea Culpa Frenaye. Assuming those were the right words. I don't speak Latin. Maybe I just told you to go jump in a lake? :D.

jsamm7769
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
"I'm going to have cute boobs 'til I'm 90, so there's that," she joked in the interview, which aired Tuesday. "I'll have the best boobs in the nursing home. I'll be the envy of all the ladies around the bridge table."

LOVE her sense of humor.

bodega
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I saw the interview this morning and I was very touched by it. The interviewer, Robin Roberts, is also going through breast cancer treatment.

What is important to note, is that Christina has been going for screening since the age of 30 due to family history of breast cancer. She had an MRI, which picked up cells that a mammogram would not have found until the cells had grown to a more dangerous size. Many insurance companies will not pay for the MRI which is starting to be recommended by doctors. As someone who was just squished yesterday and will be waiting 1-2 weeks for a report, this is very disconcerning.

Gesualdo
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Insurance companies don't pay for a lot of things that are recommended by doctors. They don't pay for a lot of things that are medically necessary. That's why cancer and other devastating illnesses bankrupt people, even those who have "good" insurance. That's also one reason why people don't get as many screenings for cancer as they should (although probably not the biggest reason).

bodega
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Penny wise and pound foolish! If an MRI can find cancer in an earlier stage, then the treatment is less, which mean fewer costs involved. This is where those with money get the better options!

Gesualdo
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe they just figure you'll drop out of the human race sooner and they'll save a lot more money in the end.

bodega
08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Sad isn't it! There is truth to that.

Gesualdo
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Michael Moore should have paid me big bucks to interview me for his documentary. Obviously, I have great insight into the health care industry. (And so humble too) ;)