PDA

View Full Version : Scraple?

maryb
07-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Had Food Network on. They kept talking about scraple(sp)? What is it? I've not heard of it down in these parts..................

pezmanffx
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Scrapple is lips, snout..... Everything not good enough to even put in a hot dog.

wrp96
07-12-2008, 01:07 PM
It's a pork product common in Pennsylvania Dutch country - and yes, they use all the leftover parts of the pig.

jfrenaye
07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I love scrapple! But only if it is cooked very well and sliced very thin.

Somewhat spam-ish in consistency and it is best to not think about what it contains. I grew up in the Philly area and it is big there---we always heard that it was made from whatever was left on the floor of the rendering plants after they were done with the pigs.

Hey you asked!

TPARick
07-12-2008, 03:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Back in the 80's when I worked at PHL airport,we would go down to the employee cafeteria to grab breakfast. Many times there would be FA's or pilots who were grabbing a bite and often would point and ask what is that, Scrapple and if you have to ask you probably don't want it. I love it fried with Maple syrup poured over it. Whenever I go to Philly or South Joisey, I have to go to a diner and order scrapple for breakfast.

DisneyJoe
07-12-2008, 03:39 PM
South Joisey

Residents of Southern NJ don't say "Joisey", thats more of a northern NJ accent....just don't ask me to say "water".

jfrenaye
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Joe take your wudder and head to the shore. Are you a shoebie?

DisneyJoe
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Joe take your wudder and head to the shore. Are you a shoebie?

LOL - just returned from 10 days at the "shore". We own a place, so we feel we are one level above the shoebies.....but not quite a local yet.....

tdew
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Residents of Southern NJ don't say "Joisey", thats more of a northern NJ accent....just don't ask me to say "water".
Never heard it around here in North Jersey! Maybe in South Brooklyn?

the dark knight
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
I have eaten a decent amount of it recently when I visit a friend of mine who is from up North.
It is okay, if you cook it well,but I am not impressed by it. I wouldn't reach for it before sausage (or bacon, which I rarely eat due to dietary preferences and watching my diet), though.

jsamm7769
07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Growing up and living next to many amish farms....It ain't breakfast unless Scrapple is on the table. It's very good IF it's cooked well and sliced thin, just like John likes it. Mushy is NOT good.

Ned
07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I think it's time for some more information in this thread.

Scrapple is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings, typically hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving.

Scrapple was invented more than 200 years ago in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and was the result of typical Dutch thriftiness and love of good eating. Dutch colonists sailed from Holland in 17th and 18th centuries and settled along the Delaware River, in what became Chester County.

Scrapple is probably the first All American pork food. After cooking a pig, there was a "soup" like liquid and lots of pork meat bits remaining in the big iron kettles in which it was cooked. After taking the remaining meat for such products as liverwurst, the Dutch would not waste the remainder. Cornmeal and spices were added to the pot, and the mixture was cooked, then jelled in loaf-shaped tins.

Over the years, some would confuse its name with the word, "scraps," but scrapple was never made from scraps, defined as waste. When the name was given to the then new pork product it meant small bits or pieces, left-overs or "remnants of value".

Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin refers affectionately to Philadelphia's scrapple in his early writings. George Washington's cook during the 1770's was Pennsylvania Dutch, and the first President's fondness for scrapple lasted for his remaining life-time. According to historical records, scrapple was made regularly at Mt. Vernon when Washington returned there after the war, and again after his retirement from the Presidency.

In Pennsylvania, Habbersett is a name synonomous with scrapple. Habbersett scrapple (http://www.habbersettscrapple.com/index.html) has been made since 1863; 145 years. For those who want to find out what scrapple really is, Habbersett does sell scrapple gift packs. It is sold from October through March and shipped UPS 2nd air across the US. Ordering is only via post mail at this time, however, as they only accept checks or money orders, not credit cards.

By the way, if you're looking for it in stores, Habbersett scrapple is sold fresh at all major chain and independent stores in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey. It's sold as far away as Trenton to the north and Cape May, NJ, the Maryland Eastern Shore, and Belair, MD to the south.

They sell frozen scrapple in Philadelphia Fever and Larry's Markets in Seattle, Washington, Piggly Wiggly Stores, Publix Supermarkets in Florida (Jacksonville, Miami, Lakeland and Deerfield) and Dacula, Georgia, as well as Safeway Supermarkets in Tracy, California. (I would love to know why Tracy, CA. Perhaps the town is made up of former Philadelphians.)

jfrenaye
07-14-2008, 10:34 AM
We have it in our Giant stores here in Annapolis. Not on my shopping list every week, but on occasion!

Now if Pat's would only....

jsamm7769
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Now if Pat's would only....

John,
The next time your up here in Philly, I'll treat you to Pat's. Just let me know when!!

tdew
07-14-2008, 11:09 AM
When we moved to the Valley Forge area in '78, one of the things everyone told us we had to try was the Scrapple. We did try it, but it was just a one time thing.

Did enjoy the cheesesteaks though.

vacationagent
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Ned - Notwithstanding that lovely description and the historical information contained in your post, it just sounds awful.

Loonbeam
07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
My favorite description came during the 93 world series by the announcers (whose names I forget)

Ann 1: I saw this stuff at breakfast today, scrapple. Any idea what it is?

Ann 2: Remember the hot dog you just had?

Ann 1: Yeah?

Ann 2: It's the stuff that didn't make it into that.

Kairho
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
My favorite description came during the 93 world series by the announcers (whose names I forget).
Would probably have to be some combination of Harry Kalas (Ann 1) and then either Tim McCarver or Tug McGraw.....

Ned
07-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Actually VA, I'm with you. While I wanted everyone to know about it, and its history which I find very interesting, I wouldn't eat it. Too much fat.

Ned - Notwithstanding that lovely description and the historical information contained in your post, it just sounds awful.

Loonbeam
07-26-2008, 10:43 AM
It was the national announcers, not local boys.

Would probably have to be some combination of Harry Kalas (Ann 1) and then either Tim McCarver or Tug McGraw.....

Ned
07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
They're probably the ones which bring up the Santa incident at an Eagles game annually, even though it happened in 1968, almost 40 years ago now. By the way, it's always reported this incident happened at the Vet, which is wrong. The Vet didn't open until 1971. The incident happened at the University of Pennsylvania's Franklin Field where the Eagles played from 1958-1970.

The infamous Santa Claus Incident occurred on December 15, 1968, in which angry fans, upset at horrible head coach Joe Kuharich ("Joe must go" chants were heard from the beginning of the game until it was over.) and the team losing its first 11 games, then winning the final 2, which prevented the Eagles from getting the first pick in the next draft, which was going to be O.J. Simpson, booed and threw snowballs at Frank Olivo, a 20-year-old fan dressed as Santa Claus who had been drafted from the stands as an ad hoc replacement for the scheduled Christmas pageant because the original Santa was reportedly drunk. Olivo recounted that fans threw snowballs at him after he reached the end zone, shouting that he made a poor Santa. Olivo was interviewed years later by NFL Films, recalling the incident with a smile, saying that he thought the whole thing was humorous. I was there that day and can tell you that Olivo's story is pretty close to what happened. He wasn't hit with any balls as he was too far away from the stands, and because he exited at the west end of the stadium where there are no stands.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/FranlkinField2.jpg/250px-FranlkinField2.jpg

The snowball incident which did happen at the Vet occurred on December 10, 1989, almost 19 years ago, at a game dubbed "Bounty Bowl II" against the Dallas Cowboys. The city didn't clear the stadium following a two day snowstorm. Fans threw snowballs, beer, and other larger objects onto the field, pelting Cowboys' players and coaches, and one another. Future Mayor, and current Pennsylvania Governor, Ed Rendell got caught up in the fallout from that game. He admitted to a reporter that he had bet another fan $20 that he couldn't reach the field with a snowball. Ed lost the bet when the fan hit Dallas Cowboys' head coach Jimmy Johnson in the head with his snowball. As a result, the Eagles added security and banned beer sales for their last remaining home game of the regular season that year. The following year economics won out and beer was flowing at the Vet again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/2001_Virginia_Tech_Temple_wide_shot.jpg/250px-2001_Virginia_Tech_Temple_wide_shot.jpg

It was the national announcers, not local boys.

Kairho
07-26-2008, 12:49 PM
It was the national announcers, not local boys.Ahhh ... then maybe McCarver as I know he has done a lot of national broadcasts. Still does, doesn't he?

Loonbeam
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah he's on Fox.