PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Vegetable Medley

Ned
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Roasted Vegetable combinations are easy to accomplish is you remember some basic rules.

For best results in a conventional oven, put your roasting pan in the middle of the oven. If you're lucky enough to have a convection oven, you can generally load it up on two shelves in the middle (upper and lower middle) because convection ovens feature a powerful fan which keeps the temperature uniform throughout the oven, and which raises the capacity of the oven to roast vegetables, or most anything, in general. Please remember that the more food you put in the oven to roast, the longer the oven will take to cook it at the same temperature. It has to do with the laws of thermodynamics.
For roasting vegetables in the oven, set your oven temperature to 450F. (conventional or convection)
You have to watch how much vegetable you put in the roasting pan. The rule of thumb is, if each piece of vegetable isn't on the bottom of the roasting pan, and there isn't at least a tiny space between vegetable, you may have too many in the roasting pan. That has to do with the larger pieces primarily, such as potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. For julienned carrots, parsnips, plus beans, and snap peas, it doesn't quite apply, however, you have to watch overloading the pan, if you want to get the vegetables browned, and finished in a reasonable amount of time.
If I'm looking to brown some vegetables, but not others, I split my vegetables up between two different roasting pans, with the one for browning above the other, and adjust my times accordingly.
To roast vegetables I use heavy duty roasting pans, not baking sheets. If you use real roasting pans they will protect the vegetables from burning, while a baking sheet will not.
Put the vegetables in, as you go along, according to how long they need to roast. An example would be to put potatoes and carrots in first, followed later by onions and broccoli, followed later still by green beans and mushrooms.
Prior to cooking, I put each vegetable in a large bowl and toss with oil, usually olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. I always include garlic cloves in any roasted vegetable combination, or even when alone, such as when making roasted potatoes or potato balls (made with a melon baller). There are countless combinations you can put together.

Here are typical cooking times for different vegetables. You'll have to adjust according to the quantity of vegetables been roasted, and whether you have a conventional or convection oven. Convection ovens roast more quickly than conventional ovens.

Long Cooking Time (30 minutes or longer)

potatoes
sweet potatoes
carrots (according to whether chucks, julienned, and what size the pieces are)
parsnips (according to whether chucks, julienned, and what size the pieces are)
rutabaga
winter squash
Brussels sprouts

Average Cooking Time (20-30 minutes)

turnips
onions
cauliflower
broccoli
sugar snap peas
quartered shallots
fennel
whole garlic cloves

Quick Cooking Time (under 20 minutes)

green beans
mushrooms
thinly sliced shallots or onions

You can add flavor to roasted vegetables after roasting with lots of great toss-ins.

nuts and seeds
cheeses
sauces and dressings
butter, and flavored butter
juices
zests
delicate oils such as truffle oil
chopped fresh leafy herbs
garlic