PDA

View Full Version : California: Bad new for those looking forward to a visit to Universal Studios

Ned
06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
For now, the King Kong exhibit at Universal Studios, Los Angeles, is gone, though I'd bet they will rebuild it. Also lost, according to the NY Times are the facades where the studio films its New York street scenes and the street set for the movie "The Sting." AP reports the fire also swept through the Courthouse Square where Back To The Future was shot. These sets have been used for so many movies, and continue to used and reused, for movies and TV, it's hard to believe Universal won't be recreating these too.

I'm sure the Universal Tour, once the park is reopened, will include the burnt out area, after all, that's Hollywood. If you're planning to tour the park in the next few days, I'd phone first to check the park's status and hours once the fire is out.

Universal Studios blaze burns video vault (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/01/studio.fire/index.html)

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -June 1, 2008- A massive fire Sunday at Universal Studios destroyed the building housing the King Kong exhibit and damaged a video library vault, officials said.

The fire is still burning at the video vault, Los Angeles Fire Chief Douglas Barry said. Firefighters have contained the blaze, but not extinguished it, officials said.

Ron Meyer, the studio's president, said the motion picture vault was not affected.

More than 400 Los Angeles-area firefighters are battling the fire in a backlot of Universal Studios, which is adjacent to the theme park.

A plume of gray smoke clouded the skies above Universal Studios more than three hours after the fire broke out early Sunday.

At least four or five structures were damaged or destroyed by the three-alarm blaze, a fire official told reporters on the scene.

The massive fire prompted officials to move back the studio theme park's opening time from 9 a.m. to noon PT (3 p.m. ET), a Los Angeles city councilman said.

The studio tour will be affected by the blaze, according to a statement from Eliot Sekuler, vice president of Universal Studios Hollywood.
The 2008 MTV Movie Awards, scheduled to be broadcast live from the park Sunday afternoon, will not be affected, an MTV representative said.

The blaze began around 4:45 a.m. PT (7:45 a.m. ET) Sunday. Two "prop" buildings, a chapel, and a popular ride called the "Cyclone" were among the damaged structures, according to Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Frank Reynoso...

jfrenaye
06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow that sucks. SO much "history" at risk there.

trojan
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
This is a real shame. I live about 10 minutes from there.

One thing that got me steamed was the emphasis the flacks placed on stating that the park and its attendant shopping area called CityWalk would be open in the early afternoon yesterday. It was beyond obvious that the fire would not be fully extinguished, yet they ALL kept lying.

Sure enough, hundreds of folks believed them and waited hours, only to be told to go home - the park/CityWalk would not open.

The other thing that really bugs is that while the video that was lost was copies and not the masters (therefore replaceable), Nikki Finke is reporting that there are a ton of irreplaceable masters of classic audio that is lost forever. Some Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, Carpenters, and Judy Garland are gone. Never once was this mentioned by the flacks, nor by the mainstream reporting you've all endured the past couple of days.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ (scroll down)