PDA

View Full Version : Because I feel like posting something positive

Loonbeam
04-30-2008, 08:21 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24392612/

It's not really the right category, but the best we had.

wrp96
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
WOW!! Gives me hope for the future of this country if young adults have morals and values like that.

stephen_s
04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

cole75
05-01-2008, 09:23 AM
That's such a feel good story..

the dark knight
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I read this story last night at home. This was unbelieveable, especially since the other team's players 1) didn't have to help her and 2) by doing so, they caused their team to lose the game and a playoff berth too.
I was more amazed that no other players on the team that lost tried to stop their teammates from helping the injured opponent round the bases (perhaps they discussed with the team after asking the umpire first, I don't know and the article did not say).
I hope that every coach of a team, amateur or pro, male or female, young or old, gives this story to their players. This is one of the greatest examples of unselfishness and sportsmanship I have ever seen. A lot of people can and should learn something from these ladies.

Loonbeam
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I know. Thats the part that blew my mind. They gave up something that they have worked their entire season for.

And from everything I heard following up, there has been ZERO (public at least) negative response from other team members.

BTW - Did anyone else think its a really stupid rule that a pinch runner would have to stop at first?

the dark knight
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree, Loonbeam, but it is a fair rule and I understand why the rule is there. If it wasn't, players who are not super fast around the bases could (and would) potentially fake a injury so his or her team could bring a faster pinch runner to improve the chances of scoring, especially in a tight game.
Every player on the field knew the rules and the stakes when the runner got hurt at first base...and the extrodinary occurred.
I am not a expert on the rules of softball or baseball, so correct if I am wrong, but I think that if this lady had fallen injured while she was still going around the bases but AFTER the other runner(s) in front of her had crossed the plate (the winning runs) we wouldn't be discussing this.
Regardless, this is a one-in-million event and should be regarded as such. Actually, I have seen something (sort of) like this twice now.
No offense to anyone, but I do not see a men's team doing the same thing for a opponent, regardless of level or sport. We will...just say it would be because of competitiveness and (hopefully) not because a lack of compassion. You can call it what you like.

Loonbeam
05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
The fake injury theory doesn't hold for a home run, because they could swap players after the play and the batter was entitled to 4 bases regardless of speed.

Yeah, I know I am bringing down a great story with semantics, but this bugs me for some reason.

CruiseExpert
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Amazing, Thanks for posting that.

Carchar
05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
What a heartwarmer! I might as well have been in the stands, because it brought uncharacteristic tears to my eyes too.