PDA

View Full Version : Bareboat charters

Gigs
09-02-2005, 08:13 AM
So, I consider myself a fairly competent sailor having raced sailboats in college and graduated from a maritime academy. However, I was not the skipper in my racing class. Bareboats have always seemed attractive to me. What sort of sailing resume do you need to charter a bareboat? Are classes needed, like at the J school in Newport, RI?

jfrenaye
09-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Typically not. You do need to prove your competence to the dealer--probably handling the boat locally and demonstrate some knowledge of charts. Also to go over the electronics, etc.

Gigs
09-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Do they provide the charts for you? Do you know some of the better places to bareboat? I hear BWI and USVI are the places to go.

jfrenaye
09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Yes they are fully compliant for navigation. You can have them provision it or you can provision it yourself. If your skills are rusty, they may insist on a captain accompany you until such a time when he feels you are able to handle on your own. Thats another option.

USVI and BWI are fabulous---the Moorings and Sunsail are two of the larger bareboat operators out of there. Sunsail has an office in Annaoplis, MD and the Moorings is based in Miami!