PDA

View Full Version : Cancun and pesos?

pezmanffx
02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
We are going to Cancun in April and are wondering if we should bring some pesos with us for incidentles. What do you think? I'm also wondering how much would be needed for a 6 day trip.

Thanks for your help.

jfrenaye
02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
USD is pretty much accepted all over the Q-Roo. Cancun and south to the Riviera Maya and PDC and Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, etc.

You will find that most items are priced in Pesos and USD as well.

To easily work the conversion, my own rule of thumb is to slide the decimal one place to the left to get an idea of US. 3467.95 pesos is approx $346.79. Not exact, but close enough. My ex wife learned that the hard way when she used an ATM and took out 20 pesos. I flipped when there was a foreign bank charge, and atm charge that well exceeded the $2 she took out.

ATMs are plentiful and they will dispense pesos.

I say take your US currency and a credit card or debit card to be able to access your cash if needed. Notify your bank or CC that you will be out of the country so the card is not flagged for a suspicious purchase. It seems that the banks like to flag accounts just before they go home for the weekend and leave you stranded!

mtp51
02-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Ditto - no Pesos needed. Print yourself out one of those conversion cheat sheets a day before you go.

Eileen Sellers
02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
You don't need to take Peso's with you. You can pay for everything in dollars, but they will give you change in Peso's. You can take the bus everywhere and they will even take dollars, but will not give you any change. Most retail stores will have prices in Peso, Dollars and Canadian Dollars, which is just about equal to us now. Have a great time!

pezmanffx
02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Cool Beans, thanks. So what are some good recomendations for things to do?

jfrenaye
02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Head to Cozumel for a day and do some snorkeling. Xel Ha and Xcaret are great side trips. Tulum and Chichen Itza (Mayan cities) are far but worth it.

If they are doing them and you have nevcer seen one---the bullfights are fascinating---gory and cruel, but fascinating look into the heritage.

Ned
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I agree with John, head to the Mayan ruins, or head to Cozumel and snorkeling. If you're adventurous, and want to spend a couple of days away from Cancun, take a day for each.

John mentioned Xel-Ha. We had a great time there the last time we were in the area.

As for the Mayan ruins, while Tulum isn't bad, and is the easiest drive (Take the 307) and the closest of the better Mayan ruins on the Yucatan Peninsula, I would go to Chichen Itza (http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/apr2002.html) (Take the 180), which I think is one of the two best of the Mayan ruins in the Yucatan. If you leave early you might also have time for Uxmal (http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/nov2001.html), the other one of the great Mayan ruins in the area, but I doubt it. Come to think of it, save it for another trip to the area, as I see it would be about 2 hours past Chichen Itza for you. When we went there we were staying in Merida which is perfectly located to be a base to see the major ruins on the Peninsula. Take a look at this map of the area (http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/mapYucatan.html) or another good map (http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cn/qrmap.shtml), to get your bearings as to where all these places are located.

According to your driving, and how much time you want to spend sight-seeing and/or snorkeling, you could conceivably go to both Tulum and Xel-Ha in one day. If I remember right, Tulum is about 25 miles south of Xel-Ha. It would be a very full day though. Get an early start driving for either.

jfrenaye
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
You can do Tulum and Xel Ha in a day without a problem. If you rent a car--make sure you take out ALL coverage available. Sometimes I find it easier to arrange the tour and let someone else drive the bus.

In Maui, I have never driven the Road to Hana because I know I would be the one car that goes off and plunges 300' down. I prefer to let someone else drive.

Ned
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
We drove it, as we didn't want to be on some tour operator's schedule. You're certainly on the money about taking all the insurance coverage they offer when driving in Mexico.

The Road to Hana on Maui isn't all that bad to drive. Everyone takes it easy there. I won't take it when it's raining however. The scenery is gorgeous there and worth pulling over frequently.

You can do Tulum and Xel Ha in a day without a problem. If you rent a car--make sure you take out ALL coverage available. Sometimes I find it easier to arrange the tour and let someone else drive the bus.

In Maui, I have never driven the Road to Hana because I know I would be the one car that goes off and plunges 300' down. I prefer to let someone else drive.

jfrenaye
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Part of my Hana "issue" is that it is scary at times...like when the tractor trailer comes around the curve...but the road is just so beautiful I would prefer to sightsee and not drive. It is consistently listed as one of the most beautiful highways in the world. I have done it three times, once with a driver both ways and the other times we choppered one way and drove the other. VERY cool

pezmanffx
02-26-2008, 12:14 PM
We have done snorkling and scuba in Cozumel and did the ruins when in Belieze. I know that we are going set up a private tour of "chicken pizza". Has anyone ever done the zip line thing? I'm scared of heights but everyone in my group wants to do it.

Just one more question... Does anyone know what is going on with AA flt 2185 out of IAD on 4/13/08? I cant seem to find it on AA's site and was wondering if it was fully booked.

Ned
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I've done a zip line canopy tour in one of the rain forests in Costa Rica, but I must say, I much more enjoyed the guided tram tour, because I was able to talk with the guide, and find out the details of what we were viewing. You move along too rapidly for me on the zip lines. If you have a problem with heights, if I were you, I'd watch the others do it. That's better than panicking on the line. Enjoy the trip.

tdew
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Has anyone ever done the zip line thing? I'm scared of heights but everyone in my group wants to do it.
I went and looked for more info about the zip lines.
I know I'm not going to do it anytime soon.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25531192

jfrenaye
02-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Anita has a video of her zip lining on her site www.expertcruiser.com

bodega
02-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I am not overly fond of heights, but I absolutely loved my zipline experience in Costa Rica. We were going over the tree tops, could see monkeys off in the surrounding trees. We were well harnassed and after the first zip, it was so easy to enjoy. At least where we were, we couldn't look down while zipping, just out to the sides and in front as you lean back a bit. The platforms were not that high up and you tend to watch the others zipping, so you don't really notice being up in the trees. Everyone was very supportive of each other, too, which made it fun. I have had many clients do the Kauai Zipline and all have enjoyed and raved about that one. I would do it again.

pezmanffx
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Anita, my virgin ears, lol.

It seems to go so quick.

jfrenaye
02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Pez--if you are not looking down, you are probably fine. It IS an experience for sure and you ought to see if you can overcome your fear. It will personally feel good to overcome!

Just don't become that base jumper that shat himself--you will be all over YouTube.....

pezmanffx
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok, now i'm going to have to go to youtube.

I should be fine. If I just dont dwell on it, it wont be an issue.