PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Dump

deangreenhoe
02-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, I guess if we can eat Apple Grunt (a favorite in my family) we can manage something called "Blueberry Dump." :D

I hosted an "involuntary" family Sunday dinner today. I invited 2 and was advised a couple hours before the dinner bell was to ring to expect 8. Don't ask.

So a dessert on the fly was in order and I played that game of chance where one puts the plausible ingredients they have on hand in a search engine just to see if something inspiring pops up. I got Blueberry Dump. LOL. I wasn't overly hopeful it would turn out well, considering the recipe details, but hey! According to one website this is a favorite of Justin Timberlake's that his grandma Sadie makes. Whatever. :rolleyes:

It turned out great and my family loved it, demanding the recipe. I thought it was pretty tasty myself, and more importantly, extremely easy for we who are usually dessert impaired.

Blueberry Dump

-1 box yellow cake mix (18-19 oz.)
-1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
-1 16 oz. bag frozen blueberries, thawed, about 1 1/2-2 cups
(can substitute 1 pint fresh blueberries or 1 15-18 oz can, some versions even use blueberry pie filling)
-1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter (I used cooking spray) a glass 9x13 baking dish.

Spread can of crushed pineapple, including juices, in the bottom of the pan. Break up lumps in box of cake mix, then dump (aha! ergo the name of the dish) over pineapple, spreading evenly.

Top with blueberries, including juices from thawing or in the can), sprinkle sugar evenly over berries, top with chopped pecans and pour the melted butter over all.

Bake for 45-50 minutes until juices bubble to the top and it begins to brown slightly. The mixture rises to the top of the pan, then settles back down as it cools.

Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream on top or on the side.

It's RICH, so I think the ice cream is necessary, as opposed to a stand alone dessert; also gooey so you need to serve with a spatula.

We were talking about the Blueberry Dump at the dinner table and everyone decided the recipe would lend itself well to a variety of fruits, fresh, canned or frozen, if blueberries isn't you bag. I imagine you'd have to make sure that what you used contained roughly the same amount of moisture (juices) so you don't end up with a dry cake mix in the center.

Ned
02-10-2008, 05:39 PM
This recipe looks great Deano. I'm going to make it as soon as I get back from our trip. Thanks for the recipe.

Lynn
02-11-2008, 06:44 AM
I think that sounds great. A friend brought a similar dish to a covered dish this past summer, peaches and raspberries were the fruits so I guess it was a melba dump!

deangreenhoe
02-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I think that sounds great. A friend brought a similar dish to a covered dish this past summer, peaches and raspberries were the fruits so I guess it was a melba dump!

Not surprising. That Melba has always been kind of a dump. ;)

Yeah, peaches is one possibility we discussed. I'm also thinking cherries and walnuts might be good, especially when they are fresh in season this summer.

bodega
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh, this has been my mother's company dessert for decades. She uses canned cherries and yes, you do need the ice cream. As kids, we use to sneak into the fridge and take chunks of the topping off to eat. Yum!

deangreenhoe
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh, this has been my mother's company dessert for decades. She uses canned cherries and yes, you do need the ice cream. As kids, we use to sneak into the fridge and take chunks of the topping off to eat. Yum!

Well, there ya go! Universally a favorite of grandmas around the country. I guess the recipe doesn't need a better recommendation. :)

BYOFT
08-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Cake mixes are on sale this week, so I picked up a box, remembering this recipe. Now what fruits are on sale?

Has anybody ever substituted a different canned fruit for the pineapple?

deangreenhoe
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Cake mixes are on sale this week, so I picked up a box, remembering this recipe. Now what fruits are on sale?

Never tried something other than pineapple. Maybe you should run a test kitchen and let us know. :)

This summer we've made this recipe a couple of times with fresh blackberries and also black caps (wild black raspberries.) I think the family has decided that those have been their favorite renditions so far.

bodega
08-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Yes, canned cherries. Yum!

BYOFT
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I just had a late breakfast helping of the dump I made last night.

Instead of pineapple, I used canned apricots, and topped the cake with frozen peach slices, fresh blueberries, and walnuts. When it was hot out of the oven, I finished my portion off with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.

Gooey, but delicious!

Loonbeam
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
This was the first line I read of the thread and my mind went to a very bad place.

I just had a late breakfast helping of the dump I made last night.