PDA

View Full Version : Study Says No Proof Airport Security Improves Safety

stephen_s
12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Airport security delays can annoy passengers, but there is no evidence that it makes flying any safer, US researchers reported.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1198246100.html

Ned
12-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Frankly, I didn't need a study to tell me that TSA has NOT made us safer.

Loonbeam
12-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I'll modify Ned's statement. The TSA has certainly made us safer than no security at all. But is their current methodology efficient or are there more effective ways? Of course there are!

Ned
12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Actually L., I really don't think we are any safer than if there was no security at all. I don't think TSA methodology will thwart any dedicated terrorist. Their methods are so poor, and so poorly run that they can only stop those who pose no threat.

I'll modify Ned's statement. The TSA has certainly made us safer than no security at all. But is their current methodology efficient or are there more effective ways? Of course there are!

IslandGirl
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't think we are safer either. The TA is always advertising in our Sunday paper apparently they have a pretty high turnover.

RGoltsch
12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
The theory in security is that if a person is willing to sacrifice himself, it is difficult to stop that person from taking at least one life. Following that thought, a determined terrorist can get past our current security and do what he feels.

But do I feel safer with the TSA? Surprisingly, my answer is yes. The TSA manages to annoy most everyone, but they do keep the average knucklehead from bringing aboard a weapon. How does this make me feel safer?

I have a pretty good idea that even though that guy sitting across the aisle may be pretty well lubricated by wine or other liquor, I know he isn't going to pull out a handgun and start shooting when the flight crew cuts him off, or tells him to calm down, or sit down, or whatever.

The TSA is hamstung by our own political correctness. They cannot stop the people they think are likely to be bad guys simply on looks. Within that arena they are forced to work, they do manage to filter out a large number of knives and guns....including the ones that people simply leave home because they know the TSA will find them.

I have never stuck up for the TSA before, I have had more than my share of encounters with idiotic agents without a shread of common sense. They do protect us from the run of the mill knucklehead.